Chapter 18

"Bergin!" Eddin greeted as Bergin walked into the room. "Good of you to stop by! Are you here for your magic lesson? I can go tell—oh. Did sis forget to tell you not to come tonight, since she's meeting another suitor?" He looked the enforcer up and down appraisingly. "You're dressed rather formally for a magic lesson."

"I'm not here for a magic lesson, Eddin," Bergin replied. He tugged at the edges of his sleeves. "I'm here to talk to your mother."

Vania walked into the room and sat down beside Eddin, mumbling a greeting to Bergin.

"You feeling okay?" Eddin asked.

She nodded. "I'm glad she let go early, compared to lately... but, I feel far more worn out. And it was different, this time. Maybe that's why I'm so tired."

"Different how?"

"I... was actually aware while she was controlling me. Seeing through my eyes, hearing... Usually, I'm not." She sighed. "Bitch destroyed the temporary port. Says people need to worship her if they want safe harbor here." She looked over to Bergin. "What brings you here?"

"Well, first, congratulations," Bergin replied. "I heard through the rumor mill that you two are getting married."

"The rumor mill is still running without Jezora?" Vania asked.

Eddin and Bergin both chuckled.

"Oh, yes. The rumor mill is still very much active," Bergin answered.

"You said you were here to talk to Mother?" Eddin asked. "Whatever for?"

"Oh, really?" Vania asked, smiling.

"Well, I—"

"Eddin! Are you ready for dinner?" T'kanna asked, striding into the room from the door opposite the one Vania had used. She fussed with her hair and picked at her nails. "He's going to get here any minute. What am I going to do?"

"Good evening, T'kanna," Bergin said.

She jumped and looked over at him. "Oh! Bergin! You're here!" She walked over to him. "Oh, I forgot to tell you not to come tonight, didn't I? I'm so sorry. We can't have a lesson today—Mother's arranged for my fifth suitor to come and—"

Bergin held up a hand. "I'm not here as your apprentice, T'kanna."

Vania pulled herself up from the couch and stood next to Bergin. "Hold on. Let me help." She mumbled, "Failing my sister-in-arms duties..." She stood up straighter and gestured to Bergin. "Lady T'kanna Buccareth, may I present Lord Bergin Nahlstrom?"

T'kanna gasped, hand covering her mouth. She stared at him, breathing carefully, then finally lowered her hand as she asked, "Truly?"

Bergin nodded once and held out his hand. "Yes, my lady. Pleasure to make your acquaintance." He smiled as she placed her hand in his.

Vania sighed and ambled back over to the couch, falling onto the cushion and leaning heavily on Eddin.

Eddin grinned as T'kanna and Bergin stepped away. He looked down at Vania. "You had something to do with that, didn't you? Playing matchmaker, were you?"

Vania nodded and yawned. "Figured it was worth a shot. After I got her permission to marry you, I broached the subject of my brother-in-arms as a potential suitor for T'kanna."

"And she actually agreed? When she already had her list of five compiled? And him being the last of his line and not a'marlon? And she let you speak for him, with you not actually being his relative?" He looked at her. "I'm rather impressed you could convince her. Exactly what'd you say?"

"I don't remember the exact words I used, Eddin," Vania mumbled. "Just put forward a suggestion, and she took it." Vania shrugged, yawning again, before she continued, "They both just need to agree that they'll each keep their family name, and any sons they have will be Nahlstroms and any daughters will be Buccareths. Thus, both family lines will continue." She shut her eyes. "It wasn't that hard of a solution."

"No, but it's certainly unconventional. Mother probably wouldn't have thought of it. I know neither T'kanna nor Bergin did."

"I didn't, either. It was Derry's idea," Vania mumbled. She sighed and sagged fully against Eddin.