Chapter 3

An impossibly bright light flashed outside, the light seeping in through all the seams around the door and flooding through the window, blinding Eddin and Vania. Before they could even blink or try to shield their eyes, the light was gone, and the darkness that followed swallowed everything. Even the fire in the hearth appeared to be a barely smoldering wick in the aftermath of the flash.

A crash boomed against the darkness, the sound shaking the cottage, sending down more dirt from the roots lining the ceiling raining onto their heads. Vania winced, putting her hands over her ears. Eddin grabbed his ears and leaned forward, tipping out of his chair to land in the dirt on his knees, forehead grinding into the ground. His body shook as he pressed his hands tighter over his ears, grimacing.

"Eddin!" Vania shouted, but the ringing aftermath in her ears prevented her from hearing her own voice. She knelt beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder. Leaning in close, she tried to pry one six-fingered hand from the side of his head. "Eddin. Are you all right?"

He groaned as he slowly lifted his head, shaking hands gradually leaving his large ears. He reached in and, wincing, removed the plugs from his ears. Blood dripped from the green wax.

"Oh, gods," Vania whispered. Seeing the blood trickling from his ear, she grabbed him and pulled him close to her. "Eddin. Oh, no. Eddin. Please be okay."

One of his hands gripped her arm. "Need. A healer. Soon." His fingers squeezed. His voice was quiet and strained. "Or. I'll be deaf."

She stood, pulling him to his feet with her, still clutching his head to her chest. "Let's go. I can come back here later for whatever she's doing. Hopefully, Tarva didn't bolt, so we can get back to the city quickly."

The door banged open, Ab'bashura cackling as she stepped inside. Her hair stood on end, frayed and frazzled. The edges of her robe smoldered. Her eyes were once again a mix of silver and black. "That arrogant pest! She just tried to kill me!" She cackled again as she shook her head, gnarled hands smoothing down her hair. "Ever a fool, though. She overestimates herself. She may have more power at her disposal, but she knows next to nothing of using it." She looked at Vania and Eddin. "Ah, of course. Her little temper tantrum did have its ill effects." Her eyes locked on Eddin, standing stooped beside Vania. She nodded once. "Yes, I can fix that." She made a shooing motion. "Sit back down."

"We need to go. He needs a healer. Whatever you can do to help me, I'll return for later."

"Fool girl child. I will heal him. Sit down."

"You can't help me, but you can heal him?" Vania demanded. "Why should I believe you?"

"No time, girl child. Sit down and keep him comfortable."

Vania slowly guided Eddin to the chairs and sat down, eyeing the crone uncertainly.

Ab'bashura approached, eyes focused completely on Eddin. She reached out her hands, crooked fingers splayed wide, and grasped his face, hands sliding over his ears. "Ssshhh... ssshhhhhh..." she murmured as he grimaced. "Just relax, child. It'll be over in a moment."

"If you hurt him, I swear I'll kill you," Vania muttered.

"Shush, girl child," Ab'bashura replied, eyes locked on Eddin. "I'll not take him away from you."

Eddin grimaced, eyes closing tightly as he bit his lip. Prant ran around the room, chittering angrily and shrieking. The ferret ran up the chair and perched on Vania's shoulder, peering down at Eddin and stomping his feet, chittering and whining. Eddin slowly relaxed, a long sigh escaping his lips. Prant calmed, watching Eddin with intense black eyes.

Ab'bashura released Eddin and straightened.

"What did you—"

"Shush, girl child," the crone said sharply. "No sounds yet." The crone snapped her fingers soundlessly and suddenly even the thunder outside and the crackling of the fire in the hearth disappeared. Ab'bashura crossed the room, rummaging among the jars and flasks on a shelf for something. Somehow, the clay and glass containers made no sounds, even when one tipped from the shelf and fell, shattering, to the dirt floor.