Chapter 4

T'kanna came rushing down the steps in a swirl of violet skirts as Eddin helped Vania from Tarva's back. Taric flew behind her and landed on Eddin's shoulder, beak rubbing his cheek.

"D'merdon! Vania! What happened?"

"Lightning struck too close when we went to see Ab'bashura," Vania replied. "The sound of the thunder hurt his ears."

T'kanna grabbed Eddin's face in her hands, turning it one way, then the other, looking at the bandage over his ears. Lips in a thin line of worry, she released him, then held up a hand and moved her fingers in a series of signs.

Eddin sighed, nodding, his own hand flashing signs back at her.

"Um. Ab'bashura healed him, but said he shouldn't remove the earplugs she gave him until tomorrow."

T'kanna turned to Vania and smiled. "Thank you for seeing him home." She turned back to Eddin and signed some more.

"Um. Are you... talking to him?" Vania asked as she saw them alternate making hand signs.

"Yes," T'kanna replied, still looking at Eddin. He watched her face carefully. "It's a language that uses hand signs, in place of spoken sounds. We learned it since it's taught in the military—sometimes, one needs to communicate in silence. But, there are many who use it for other purposes, like speaking with people who cannot hear."

"Can you teach me?"

T'kanna turned to face her, smiling. "I'm sure D'merdon would be happy to teach you. You should ask him tomorrow." She placed a hand on Eddin's shoulder. "But, I think, for today, he needs to come inside and rest. Surely your boss will allow him that, given what happened."

"Of course. I was planning on stopping at headquarters on my way back to talk to Aleira."

Eddin took a step to Vania, serious look on his face.

A horse galloped in from the street, the rider leaping off and panting, then looked up and asked, "Elite Enforcer Nahalora?"

"Yes?" Vania asked.

"Commander Aleira requests your immediate presence at Enforcer Headquarters."

"Oh. Well, I'll be there. Thank you." She turned and looked at Eddin and T'kanna as the tired messenger nodded and remounted his horse. "I guess... I'd better get going."

T'kanna nodded. "Very well. Good luck with whatever is going on. Stop by tonight after work for dinner!"

Vania smiled. "Thanks. Maybe I will."

Eddin placed a hand on her shoulder. He moved his free hand in a series of signs, then held it out to her, palm up.

"He... said he wants the lightning bolt?" T'kanna said. "I'm not sure what that means, but you must."

Vania blinked, looking from Eddin to T'kanna. "He must read lips then, too?"

T'kanna nodded. "He tries. Some words are easier than others. And some people are easier, too."

Eddin moved his open hand closer to Vania, staring hard at her.

"You... don't trust me to not use it?" Vania asked.

Eddin shook his head and emphasized his waiting hand.

Prant scurried up from Eddin's cloak, across his arm, then ran down from Vania's shoulder to her pocket.

"Hey!"

Prant leapt from her pocket as she swiped at the ferret. Eddin caught Prant and quickly dropped him back into his cloak pocket, nodding.

Vania looked at Eddin. "I thought we agreed to trust each other."

Eddin cringed and a flash of pain crossed his face as he signed something with his hand.

T'kanna translated, "Some lessons are learned the hard way."

Eddin looked at Vania, eyes pleading with her. He signed again, then turned away.

"He says, 'We'll talk tomorrow.'" T'kanna looked after her brother, then turned to Vania. "I don't know what that was about, but you both clearly feel strongly about it. Do you want me to talk to him?"

"No," Vania replied with a sigh. "He and I will talk tomorrow. Thank you, T'kanna." As she turned, she added, "Have a nice day."

"Vania," Aleira greeted, standing up from her desk. She looked at the empty air beside the enforcer. "Where's Enforcer Bucktin?"

"Out sick," Vania replied. She stepped further into the office. "You needed to see me?"

"Yes," Aleira replied, sitting back down into her chair. "The storm hovering over the city feels... odd, and I'm getting reports about strange occurrences. People going into trances, babbling about the wrath of the storm goddess. Animals spooking for no obvious reason. Ships at port being swamped by rogue waves. Just moments ago, lightning struck one of the temples, burning it completely to ash. All the faithful who were inside at the time perished."

"Oh," Vania said quietly. She thought angrily at the cackling voice in her head, "This is your doing, isn't it?" The woman just cackled louder, making Vania's headache deepen.

"And, just before you came in, I heard a report that a posse of priests in black robes with golden lightning bolts and silver waves on their hems are surrounding your house, looking for you."

"Me? What do they want with me?"

Aleira crossed her arms. "That's what I'd like to know, as well."

Vania sighed as she dropped into the chair in front of the desk. After a moment of sitting in silence, she launched into the tale of the night before and the visit to Ab'bashura earlier.

"I see," Aleira said, frowning deeply once Vania finished. "So, that strange, unbalanced power Rand'din felt emanating from you is this storm goddess, is it? She's taken possession of you. For what? To be her avatar here? Why not choose one of her faithful? I assume they'd welcome such an intrusion into their mind. And what does she want?"

Vania shrugged. "I can only guess. The only time she talks to me is right before she tries to control me."

"And Ab'bshura, with all her knowledge and power, couldn't help you?"

"The best she could do was temporarily block her from my mind, and offer me advice."

"And now this storm goddess, knowing Ab'bashura suggested you seek help from other temples, has begun destroying them." Aleira looked at Vania. "This is a much more serious problem than I'd hoped when you first told me about your headaches and hearing a voice. Go quickly to all the temples still standing. Warn them of the danger, and ask for their assistance."

Vania nodded with a sigh and stood.

"Also," Aleira added as Vania turned to go, "don't go to your home. Avoid the temple of the storm goddess at all costs. Whatever those priests want with you, considering how their goddess has acted so far, I don't trust them."

"But... what if they could give us a hint to what she wants? So we could at least prevent any more ships from sinking?"

 "I will send others to inquire. Sending you would be like handing a murderer a sword to better cut your own throat."