Chapter 10

"Are you sure you want to quit?" Commander Aleira asked, looking at Eddin.

He nodded. "I'll be leaving for Hursa in a week. I wish I could continue to assist Elite Enforcer Nahalora more, but I need to focus on making preparations to leave."

"I understand," Aleira replied, nodding. "Thank you for your service for the good of the city all these years." She frowned, looking at the uniform sitting on her desk. "Is there... a reason you've decided to return to the military?"

"I need to finish the service I promised."

"He still has one year left of his five-year agreement," Vania said. "This isn't his choice."

"I see..." Aleira replied. "I hear the war isn't going well, Enforcer Bucktin. Are you sure you wish to return to the force at this time? Surely, you can finish your tour at another time. One less likely to end in your death."

"I received my notice," Eddin replied. He pulled out the envelope from his pocket, seal still unbroken. "I am being called back to finish my service."

Commander Aleira sighed. "I see. Well, I have no power over the military, or I'd offer to transfer your final year of service from army to enforcer ranks."

Eddin looked down at the envelope in his hands, the military symbol pressed into the red wax staring at him. "We tried that; they said no to the transfer request."

"Very well," Aleira said quietly. "Well... I wish you well, then. Try to survive the year so you can come back here."

Eddin nodded, swallowing. "Thank you, Ma'am. I intend to." He pushed the envelope back into his pocket.

"You can still call me Ans'sa," Aleira replied. She sighed, looking at the silver wolf rampant on the uniform on her desk. "The city's going to miss you; we're losing a good enforcer."

"I'm going to miss it," Eddin said quietly.

Aleira nodded, then sighed. "Will you please step out for a moment? Elite Enforcer Nahalora and I need to discuss work; with your resignation, you no longer are privy to these conversations."

Eddin nodded and turned, leaving the room without a word.

Vania watched him leave, speechless.

"Well," Aleira said after a moment of silence following the soft thud of her office door closing. "That is unfortunate and unexpected. I get the feeling, with everything going on, we need him now more than ever."

"I'm... not sure I can do this job without him," Vania admitted quietly. "Especially not with how frequently she keeps controlling me."

Aleira nodded, lips pursed into a tight line. "Yes. We need to make sure you're not alone." She sighed and rummaged around her desk, then placed a scroll on its surface. "We need to assign you a new work partner. This is a list of all the enforcers in the city. Pick anyone, whether they're a captain or a new recruit or anything in-between."

Vania looked at the scroll. She picked it up slowly, fingers running along the rolled edge. She put it back down. "I want to work with Enforcer Bergin Nahlstrom."

"Your original partner." Aleira picked up the scroll and regarded Vania. "Are you sure? I heard your initial partnership ended poorly." She held out the scroll. "You can choose anyone. Don't you want to at least look?"

Vania shook her head. "Since I can't work with Eddin anymore, the only other enforcer I want to work with is Bergin."

Aleira nodded and put the scroll away. "Very well. I will reach out to Captain Ther'rin and Captain Ainhara, informing them that Enforcer Bergin Nahlstrom is transferring back from Merchant Quarter to Lower Quarter Station and being assigned as your work partner."