Chapter 15

"Well, that's great news!" Licia exclaimed, hugging both Vania and Eddin in turn.

"Yes," Derry agreed, coming forward to hug Vania and shake Eddin's hand. "We're all very happy for you."

"Thank you," Vania replied.

"Thank you." Eddin looked Derry in the eye as they shook hands. "I hope you don't disapprove."

"Not at all," Derry replied with a smile, clasping Eddin's hand in both of his. "Vania loves you and has chosen to spend her life with you. Who am I to stand in her way?" He added softly, "I'm sure Starlin and Taila would've approved, as well."

Eddin nodded. "Thank you."

Licia brought Cianna forward, hand on the girl's back propelling her forward. "Looks like you were right after all, Cianna. Vania and Eddin are getting married. Why don't you tell them congratulations?"

Cianna ducked her head, embarrassed, but hurried over to Vania and hugged her tightly. "Congratulations, Vania."

"Thanks, Cianna," Vania replied, tousling Cianna's hair as she hugged the girl back.

"So, does this mean I'm gonna have new cousins to play with soon?"

Vania froze, blinking, face going red. "Um... No, Cianna. It does not mean that. Besides, you already have your two little siblings—aren't you tired of babies?"

"No!" Cianna replied. "They're not big enough to be annoying yet. Unlike some people." She turned and stuck her tongue out at her brother.

Kuran stuck his tongue out back at her. "If anyone knows annoying, it's you, Cianna! You're a pro at it!" He came forward and looked up at Eddin. "So, are you gonna stay, then?"

"Yes," Eddin replied. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Good," Cianna said quietly. "Vania's happier when you're around."

Vania swallowed, looking away from Eddin's bemused face.

Cianna walked over to Eddin and looked up at him. "Um."

Eddin crouched down and looked her in the eye. "Yes, Cianna?"

She looked at him for a moment, shifting from foot to foot. "Um." She threw her arms around him. "Thanks for making Vania happy."

Eddin smiled and gently hugged her back. "I'm glad you approve."

"So... I'm assuming there's no date set yet," Derry ventured as the children returned to playing. "But... it must be soon, given the... situation."

Vania nodded. "Has to be within ten days. Or they'll decide I was lying and throw him on the next ship."

"Ten days!" Licia exclaimed. "How can we plan a wedding in ten days?!"

"Oh, we'll manage, dear," Derry assured her. He looked at Vania. "I do insist you let me make some of the food, though."

"We wouldn't want it any other way," Eddin replied, putting an arm around Vania. "If you'll excuse us for now, I think there's some things Vania and I need to discuss."

"Of course," Derry replied, nodding.

Eddin and Vania left the room. Vania gestured to the next door over. "My room? It's closer."

"Vania! D'merdon! There you are!" T'kanna came rushing up. She smiled broadly at both of them as she pulled them into a group hug. "Congratulations!"

"Thanks, sis," Eddin replied. He looked at her. "I hear this is due in part to your scheming."

"Scheming?" T'kanna echoed. She shook her head. "I don't 'scheme,' little brother. I leave that to K'landrin. I simply... proposed a solution to a problem."

"You proposed a proposal?" Eddin asked, smirking.

"Well, if you put it that way... maybe."

Vania stepped over to her doorway and held her hand on the rune on the doorpost. After the door opened, she gestured. "Can we talk in the room, please? She's... making me uncomfortable."

"Of course," Eddin replied, quickly following Vania through the doorway, T'kanna close behind.

"So, I know this is still very new, but any thoughts on the ceremony yet?" T'kanna asked. "How many people will be there...? Where we should have it...?"

"The temple, of course!" the woman turned to view T'kanna and then Eddin, Vania's violet eyes glowing faintly. The face twisted into a leer. "Congratulations, by the way! Maybe now she's finally ready to tell you all her dirty little secrets..."

Eddin frowned, not saying anything.

T'kanna studied the woman for a moment, brows furrowed. "You must be... the bitchy, parasitic pest I've heard about. Can't say I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Oh, is that what they're calling me these days?" the woman asked, laughing. "How very rude! They should call me by my name, and show me proper respect by using my title!"

"Your name is pest, and your title is evil," Eddin replied flatly.

"Well," the woman replied with a sniff. "You sure don't know how to show respect to your betters. Maybe I won't let you marry my host. Maybe I'll send you off to war, instead. Isn't that why you agreed to marry her? You're too afraid to fight? I know it's not for her oh-so-charming personality!"

Eddin glared at her, gritting his teeth tightly as he growled, hands clenching into shaking, white-knuckled fists at his sides.

"Or..." She walked over to Eddin, leaning in close. "...is it because she won't fuck you otherwise? Despite all the other men she's given herself to?"

T'kanna grabbed the woman's broad shoulder and hauled her backward. "I think you've said enough." She placed one six-fingered hand over the woman's mouth. "No," she said sharply as the woman tried to say something. "You may be powerful, but inhabiting Vania's body is limiting you."

The woman glowered at T'kanna and bit her finger, then soundlessly laughed when T'kanna yanked her hand away. The woman, blinked, confused, hand going to her mouth and then her throat. She glared at T'kanna, jabbing one long finger at her and mouthing words.

T'kanna sighed, shaking her head. She turned to Eddin. "How long does this usually last?"

"Varies," Eddin replied quietly. He reached out to his sister. "Did she hurt you badly?"

"No," T'kanna replied, looking at her hand. "She didn't even break the skin." She cast a glance over to the woman. "And, despite the havoc she's been making in the city and on the sea, she can't even undo my simple silencing spell. Of course, she's currently tydring, and they're more susceptible to magic."

"Just don't anger her too much," Eddin advised. "She can still do damage to people and places outside."

T'kanna sighed and took an empty chair by the fireplace. "So much for discussing your wedding."