- Chapter 10 -

(Tigger Warning for at the end of the chapter! Yes, this counts as a small spoiler!)

- Begin Chapter -

Anomys: …Mello? You OK?

Mello: *Fast asleep on the couch, although he seems a bit troubled*

Anomys: I’ll let the kid sleep. He’s going through some shit. *goes to gently roll Mello over into a more comfortable position*

*Mello doesn't seem to be in a great state as he curls up into a ball on his position*

Anomys: *pat pat* Get your rest, kid. *flies into a corner*

*A sizzling sound is heard from somewhere on the couch*

Anomys: Aaaand nope. *flies back over* Kid? *nudge nudge*

*He doesn't respond*

Anomys: Kid. Marshmallow. Wake up. *picks him up gently*

Mello: *He shakes his head and slowly open his eyes, he seems in pain. A wide grin is on his face*

Anomys: …oh no. He… he got you…?

Mello: *He starts crying even with the smile, tears of molten gold stream from his eyes*

Anomys: *tight hug, he’d be crying if he could* No… no, this can’t be happening.

*Mello tightly hugs him back, sobbing into his shoulder.*

Anomys: *wipes Mello’s tears away* I failed you. I failed Burn, I failed KitKat… I’m such an idiot.

*Mello starts sniffling, holding onto Anomys with a steel grip almost*

Anomys: Do you blame me? I’d accept it if you did.

Mello: *He raises his head, more tears flowing down and he looks at a small piece of paper near a corner, most likely where Mello sat at. There are colored pencils next to it.*

Anomys: Here. *sets him down next to the paper*

*Mello takes the paper and shows him it.

Anomys: …I see. *his eyes change into just random shapes, changing every second* How can I respond to that…?

*And then it hits him.*

Anomys: …I haven’t failed you yet

Mello: ? *He tilts his head, starting to wipe the tears away but then stopping because of how hot the gold is*

Anomys: …I don’t wanna do it… but it’s the only way left to protect you. To save you.

Mello: *He looks even more confused and a bit scared*

Anomys: …Marshmallow. Kid. You’re gonna become one of them if I don’t do this. But the problem is… you’re too young. To save you from this fate, I gotta…

*Anomys pauses*

Anomys: …I gotta put you to sleep for a while. A fairly long while.

Mello: *He looks a bit more nervous, but he nods a bit. He holds the paper close to him and steps forward to Anomys*

Anomys: …can I even do it, though? *stares at his hands*

*Mello holds his stomach, a bit closer to Anomys now*

Anomys: *hands trembling, he places them on the shoulders of Mello* You’ll feel better after this. I promise.

Mello: *He's shaking now. But he nods again, tears flowing down pouring from his face as he clutches the paper*

Anomys: *he gently places his hands on the side of Mello’s head. A few white lines extend down from his eyes, his version of tears* Ready, kid, for the greatest journey of your life?

Mello: *He sniffles, and lets out a weak little squeak*

Anomys: *he nods*

*CRACK.*

*A paper falls down at Anomys's feet.*

*A sketch drawn with a black colored pencil. It's him with a smile drawn on his face.*

*Two words are drawn out in blue*

“Best Friend.”

- End Chapter -