Malleable

Leslie sat and watched as Mole stormed out of Gregory's room, Estella limping closely behind him. She had heard what Mole- who she had been told was her biological brother- said about her. It hurt her, being talked about as if she were simply an object that could be controlled and changed at will. That's what she was when she worked for Yardale. That's who she was before she knew who she could be. That wasn't her now. 

Brimmy, who had been sitting near Leslie and also heard what was said, could tell that she was hurt. "Mole's going through a lot right now. He might not understand everything he says." he tried to say reassuringly. 

"Aren't we all going through a lot?" Leslie questioned. 

"Well- yeah." replied Brimmy. "He may just regulate his emotions differently. Not that it excuses him lashing out at people both directly and indirectly- but it's important to understand." 

"I just wish I was viewed as a real person rather than just some killer robot with no independence. I know I killed people before and did a lot of damage- but I regret that! I didn't mean to kill Gregory." Leslie said. "I wanted Mole to be my brother. I thought it would be cool, but I don't think he feels the same. He just thinks I'm some robot with no conscience or feelings. He thinks I'm just some malleable piece of metal that people can change at ease."  

Brimmy shrugged. "He'll learn. Everyone will."

"But what if he's right and I'm wrong?" Leslie worried. "What if all of my beliefs are just based on what people tell me to believe?" 

"Let's see." began Brimmy. "I want you to go kill somebody." 

Leslie laughed. "Absolutely not." 

"See? You make your own choices. Even if others may influence your beliefs, you've ultimately decided who you are." Brimmy said. 

Felling better, but still left with a question, Leslie asked, "How do you think of all of this?"

"Well, growing up without parents makes you do a lot of thinking." Brimmy admitted. 

"Huh." thought Leslie. "You don't have parents?" After Brimmy shook his head, implying that he didn't, Leslie continued, "Maybe we're related. You should be my brother." 

It was then Brimmy's turn to laugh. "That would be nice." 

———————————-

"I can only imagine what Gregory's been through." shivered Pip. "I remember what it was like being trapped there." 

"Yeah, that sucks." Damien replied, staring with Pip at Gregory's room, also being ones to witness Mole and Estella rush out. "At least you're both out now."

"I suppose." said Pip. "I do hope the others trapped in there are safe, though." 

Damien raised an eyebrow. "There's others?" 

Nodding, Pip replied, "There are. I saw Pocket's father in there. He was quite kind. I'm sure there were others as well. I do remember hearing screaming at some moments... although that may have just been Gregory." 

"Well what do we do?" Damien wondered.

"I think we need to plan to get them out." Pip thought. "If being trapped in Yardale traumatized me and completely changed Gregory as a person, who knows what could happen to them?"  

"We can't just go back, Pip." sighed Damien. "As nice as it would be, it's risky as fuck." 

Determined, Pip argued, "Would you have given that same answer if I were still trapped there?" 

Damien stared up at Pip, a bit shocked. He wanted to give an answer and argue back, but he could come up with nothing. Giving in, Damien said, "Fine. Maybe we can sneak in today without Yardale suspecting it." 

Pip smiled. "Thank you." 

"Whatever." huffed Damien. 

The two got up, preparing themselves for the trip. Before either could leave, though, another ghost appeared to Damien right at a time where Pip was in a separate room.

In front of Damien floated Mrs. Meyers, Leslie's past adoptive mother who had, previously, helped the group to get information on Yardale. "Mrs. Meyers?" questioned Damien. 

"You can just call me Lori, Damien." the ghost said. 

"Right, right." Damien started. "What are you doing here?" 

"Don't go to Yardale." Lori said. "Go to your mothers' house instead." 

Confused, Damien asked, "I know that would be safer- but why?"

"You'll find more there than at Yardale. Plus- you haven't visited your mothers for ages." Lori replied.

Damien sighed. "Did my moms tell you to say that?" 

"No, I just know they would appreciate it. Trust me." The ghost then disappeared, leaving Damien alone- as ghosts typically did with him. 

Soon afterwards, Pip walked in, becoming confused when Damien immediately got up and said, "We're gonna take a detour before we go to Yardale."