Better

"I want to be better than him." Mark said.  

Gregory stared at Mark, noticing his change in demeanor. He couldn't tell what the other meant. Whose side was Mark on? Mark then continued. "I don't want to be like my father. I want to be better than him. My father has always expected so much shit from me, and I'm going to prove that I'm not only as good as him, but better." 

"You could achieve that by working with me." Gregory offered. "Let's escape and prove ourselves to be better than our parents." 

Mark shook his head. "Working with you won't help me as much as it will help you, and neither will escaping. I have a different idea."

"And what is that?" 

"We'll stay here for a while. That way we can gradually build ourselves up rather than straightforwardly leaving." said Mark. 

"And what about working together?" questioned Gregory. 

"I wouldn't consider it 'working together'. We're not equal." Mark replied. "I'll be in charge." 

Gregory didn't mind Mark's suggestion, especially with his inability to remember ever having autonomy or the ability to make his own decisions. Mark knew and used this to his advantage, leading Gregory into his plans. Gregory could, in fact, be changed after being brainwashed. Mark simply needed to ease his way into the other's mind. 

Gregory then asked,  "And what's our plan after all of that? Killing everyone?"  

"No, that's a bit excessive." said Mark. "We're going to overthrow our fathers and take over what they've built."

———————————-

"What do you think they're talking about?" Gary asked after leaving Mark and Gregory alone. 

"I'm not sure." replied Rebecca. "I'm sure Mark will be able to get good information from him, though. Mark is good with that kind of thing." 

Gary nodded. "You and your brother are really smart. It's impressive." 

Rebecca shrugged. "It's only because our parents pressured us to be that way. I don't know if it was a good or bad thing. I'm happy to be smart, I guess, but I was never really too happy around my parents." 

"That must've been hard." said Gary. "Do you ever miss your parents? I sure do miss mine." 

"Occasionally. But I think that it's just me missing what they could've been, not what they are." 

"Well... who needs parents when you've got your best friends here?" Gary smiled. In a way, he was comforting himself with his own words to cope with the loss of his own family, but he hoped to help Rebecca even more. 

Rebecca smiled back. "You're right. I don't need their approval." 

Exactly!" exclaimed Gary. "You don't, and neither does Mark." 

———————————-

Dogpoo yawned. "Where is everyone? It seems like a bunch of people just left." 

"Estella and Mole are outside, Damien and Pip went to Damien's moms' house, and Mark, Rebecca, and Gary are dealing with Gregory." answered Brimmy. 

"Estella, Mole, Rebecca, and Gary should be walking in in a moment." said Leslie. On cue, Estella and Mole walked back inside while Rebecca and Gary entered from their own room. 

"How'd you know that?" Dogpoo asked, astounded. 

Leslie shrugged. "Sometimes I just kinda know things."

Acknowledging everyone in the room, Estella asked, "So what's our next plan?" 

Brimmy thought for a moment, then replied, "Well, after Damien and Pip come back and once we find out what to do about Gregory, we should probably start planning another invasion of Yardale." 

"Alright then." agreed Estella. "Do we try to get Gregory to work with us or do we wait it out and babysit him until he remembers something?" 

"Babysit him." Mole said. "I don't volunteer for that job, though." 

Leslie sat up. "I can watch him while you guys invade Yardale! It probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to go back there anyways- I don't want them to take me." 

"I could watch over him as well." added Estella. "With my injury I don't believe I'll be capable of doing much fighting or invading." 

"Great." said Dogpoo. "And- what are we exactly planning to do with this future invasion?" 

Rebecca then finally chimed in. "Kill Mr. Havisham and Mr. Cotswolds, probably." 

———————————-

"Well now that I've told my secret, I think it's only fair that you all say something too." said Damien. 

Most at the table could only continue to stare at Damien with their mouths dropped. The way he could attempt to place the unwanted attention onto someone else was astonishing. 

"I killed my preschool teacher." said Trent, not even caring. 

"Oh! That's-" Katherine began, wanting to leave her seat at the table. "That's really interesting, Trent. Thank you for sharing." 

"Badass." said Damien. He got a look from his mother's for cursing at the table, but nothing was said. 

"Yeah. Anyways. Who's next?" Trent asked. 

After receiving a long stare from Trent, Josh sighed and said, "I don't have any secrets. I'm actually a very honest person." 

"Oh, bullshit." said Damien, rolling his eyes. He received another look that he failed to notice. 

"I think it's your guys' turn." Josh said, then looking at his moms. 

"Okay. Uhm-" Katherine started. "I have a peanut allergy."

Damien tilted his head. "You have a nut allergy? Is that why you're a lesbian?" 

"Damien Thorn! You cannot say that." Maria exclaimed. 

"What? It was a genuine question. Anyways it's your turn to tell your secret." 

Maria sighed. "I have no secrets." 

"Liar." Damien claimed. "What about your sister that you never told us about?" 

"I'd rather not discuss that-" 

"You made me talk about Dad!" Damien argued. "At least tell us her name." 

"Fine." said Maria, pausing for a minute to collect herself. "Her name was Lori Meyers."