𝘅: the murderer

chapter ten / season one episode three

THERE HAD BEEN A MURDER. Which, for Small Heath, wasn't a shocking statement. Not when you had more drunkards than you could count, the Peaky Blinders and just downright angry people inhabiting this place there was bound to be murder.

A normal murder wouldn't have intrigued Jack 'Wallace'. In the few weeks he'd lived here, Small Heath had very casual reactions to murder, unless you were the bereaved. People would maybe gasp, and ask the police for any information but other than that, they'd mainly get on with their day.

That's what Jack had been doing anyway. Since coming from London up to Birmingham and staying at his Grand-Da's house he'd become used to the murders that took in the alleyway near the house, it was a very common place for people to be attacked and left for dead to be found by a civilian in the morning. Jack had even found a few himself.

Jack hadn't found this one. In fact, there wasn't a body to be found this time around.

He was going for his morning walk, to fetch the paper and then make breakfast for himself and his Grand-Da. And then he'd reached the alleyway, and it had been cornered off by two police officers. There wasn't a large crowd but there were a few locals who were clearly confused on why the police were hanging around if there was no body and just a bit of blood.

Jack's stomach dropped. There was one person who he saw go into this alleyway...

"What's happening?" His cockney accent drew a few eyes to the teenage boy who dared asked the stoic officers a question.

Surprisingly, the coppers responded to him, "Suspected murder. No body yet. A lot of blood. Lot of police around, be mindful of where you go."

A few murmurs sounded from the locals. Suspected murder. It was pretty obvious the coppers knew there had been a murder.

"How can there be no body?" Jack asked.

The copper rolled his eyes, "Clearly, they cleaned up after they'd murdered 'im. But, they got back too late to clean up the blood someone called it in."

Him. (Another Jack had come to terms with was the accent around here. Back home, Brummies were a very prominent discussion, especially with their accent that the Cockneys liked to poke fun at.) That meant it wasn't her.

"What time do you think the suspected murder was?" Jack queried, posing as the curious boy who lived in the area and not the worried Cockney who feared for another's life. The person who was very important to him... for reasons.

The copper sighed, "Look boy, you gonna keep askin' me questions, or just tell me that you know sommet?"

Jack knew somebody who had walked this way last night. He knew someone who had dared to walk the alleyway in the night. And if he was to tell the coppers that, he'd be doing his father proud. Do what was asked of him.