𝘅𝗶𝗶: the murdered

chapter twelve / season one episode three

"I AIN'T SEEN HER IN NINE DAYS, NORA," Charlotte Junia huffed, her hands on her hips as she ranted outside of the Faye residence, the sound of a screaming baby and the matron of the household cooing softly filled the silence that followed her words, "Ain't you worried about that?"

Eleanora looked back at the Junia girl, bags under her eyes that were deeper than normal, carrying more exhaustion than normal too. "My Uncle has been missing for just as long as that, Lottie. Why aren't we going out looking for him?"

"Weren't you listenin'?" Charlotte queried, in serving her friend's knotted her, her dirtied dress and the exhaustion that oozed out of her body. It was no wonder she hadn't been listening, the screaming baby and the lack of energy had probably drawn whatever short attention span she had. "I said we could get Liv, and then go on the lookout for your Uncle."

"Polly said she was sick." Eleanora said, looking behind her to check her Mother and brother weren't up to no good in the kitchen. "If she's sick she isn't going to be doing any searching now, is she?"

Eleanora was grasping at strings. She had a plethora of excuses at the tip of her tongue to not go and fetch Olivia Shelby from her palace at Watery Lane, the most obvious being that she needed to stay behind and care for her brother whilst her Mother caught up on the lost sleep. (Not that her own Mother ever let the teenage girl catch up on her own lost sleep) And the boy had been screaming for days, as if he missed his Uncle's absence. Which was an absurd thought but the only reasoning for his screaming that Eleanora and her Mother could think of. Additionally, Eleanora did not want to speak to Olivia Shelby, let alone knock on her front door.

Eleanora was a Faye, they were petty people. They held grudges. It used to be that if you fell out with the Fayes, you were never getting back into their good books and you were banned from their farm, there may also be a few threats thrown in here or there. The Faye girl was sticking to her last name's reputation, and she believed that Olivia had to see the privilege her last name came with, a privilege no-one else got to have in this town, and if the silent treatment was the only way to make Olivia see this then so be it! Eleanora wasn't afraid of the cold shoulder or zipped lips for a couple of days.

(Eleanora was forgetting that Shelbys were famously stubborn and were allergic to apologizing)

Charlotte scoffed, "Liv was sick eight days ago, nobody is ever sick for that long."

"Unless it's a chronic illness." Eleanora muttered.

Unluckily, Charlotte had heard the mutter, "You and I know for a fact that the only thing that's taking Olivia is out is her own stupidity to follow in Thomas Shelby's footsteps, not a chronic illness."