𝘅𝘃𝗶: wedding bells

chapter sixteen / season one episode four

OLIVIA HUFFED AND CROSSED HER ARMS ACROSS HER CHEST. John was getting married today, and that upset her for two reasons: the first being that it would be to a woman he'd never met before, and Olivia had known and kept the secret from him (which she felt incredibly guilty about) and secondly that it was only her and Polly who sat in the teen's room getting ready.

Ada should be here.

It should be Polly and Ada trying to de-tangle the bird's nest that perched itself on-top of Olivia's head whilst poking fun at her and making remarks about the glum look on her face on a celebratory day.

Yet, Ada wasn't here. And Polly was muttering under her breath as she yanked the hairbrush through Olivia's hair and tried to make it presentable. When the girls had been younger Ada's hair had never been like this, and the elder Shelby girl had always been happy to sit crisscrossed in-front of her aunt and have her hair done in a new way, or an old way.

Ada just enjoyed having her hair done.

Olivia not so much. Especially not when it was Polly yanking at her scalp. Her aunt usually had a gentle touch, but clearly not today. It must be the wedding stress or something like that.

After all, Olivia had only ever attended one wedding before. And that had been Ada's super-top-secret wedding. Olivia had worn a beautiful pale frock, which had by the end of the night been covered in a man's blood and tears.

In the mirror, Olivia glanced over her shoulder to another pale colored dress that had been ironed and hung so that it looked beautiful for this morning. Except, Olivia didn't think much to it and was frankly frightened to slip it on. What if it happened again? What if she had to kill again?

The pale colored dress made her stomach turn.

"Do I have to wear that?" Olivia asked. She hadn't been very talkative this morning, Polly supposed it was down to the girl's anger at John's arranged wedding.

Not because her sister wasn't here. (Yet.)

"Yes."

"Why?"

"The Lees said—"

"But, can't I wear what I want?" She was being argumentative, Olivia knew that. She also knew that she was being fussy and picking a fight on the day of John's wedding but the dress was so similar to the one she wore that day.