Chapter 1

PICTURE OF KAT -------------->

“What do you have that would please my son?” a commanding male voice boomed and echoed off the stone walls in the other room where the soft glow of candle light could be seen. I pushed myself further into the darkest corner of the pitch black, unlit room I was held in.

Around me I could hear several gasps of fear and the shuffle of what little cloth each of us had on as some hugged themselves closer to a friend or whatever in comfort. I just wrapped my arms around my knees and tried to make myself as tiny as I possibly could, not wanting to do anything but die right then and there. In fact that’s all I had ever wanted ever since I had come to this place.

“Of course, sire, we have plenty of pretty females around the prince’s age. Do you have any particular image in mind sire?” Harold, the one who kidnapped every girl in the room with me and the one who did practically anything he wanted with us, said cheerily.

“No, but she has to at least be slightly pretty.” The commanding voice said once more.

There were no more words spoken as the tall form of Harold barged through the heavy wooden door suddenly, his movements quick and graceful just like every other person of his species. His excited grey eyes darted about the room with an urgency that made fear pump through my blood with every swift beat my heart pounded. His eyes landed on a young red head that had been crouched alone on the far side of the room. He said nothing as he suddenly appeared beside her, jerking her roughly up to her feet and hissing at her as she shied away. She opened her mouth to say something but his hand came across her face faster as he slapped her.

Tears streamed down her face as a bruise already began forming and I felt my eyes water in fear. He dragged her out of the door, which shut not a second later with a loud thud, leaving utter silence. All of us waited tensely, each one of us afraid to even so much as breath for fear of being singled out.

Not a minute later he returned by throwing the red head on the stone floor and stalking back in behind her, ignoring her whimpering and scanning the room once again for a victim. His sickly excited gaze turned to me and studied me for a moment before he sauntered over with long stride, the corners of his mouth turned ever so slightly to display a smirk.

Once he reached me and leaned down to look at me for a moment. “What are you doing trying to hide a pretty face like that?” his voice was low and held a taunting edge to it.

My breath came in short, ragged gasps and I tried my best to hide my fear but I know it was extremely apparent because he smiled evilly before grasping one of my arms and tossing me across the room as if I were nothing more than a small pebble being tossed into a stream.

I cried out in agony as he jerked me up and slapped my face hard. I felt blood run down my chin and I tensed, trying not to think of the things he would and could do to me. He eyed the small flow of the warm red liquid with almost an eager look about him. I sniffled and it seemed to bring him back to reality as he snarled at me and dragged me through the door in the same way as he had done earlier to the last girl. When we reached the candle lit room he threw me forwards and I landed on my knees and hands with a gasp of pain.

I opened my eyes to see a pair of shiny black shoes that I knew had to be expensive. I raised my gaze slowly to see what I figured to be the man with the commanding voice. He was older and had graying hair that was fixed in a businesslike manner, his face strict and highly critical.

He seemed to be studying me thoughtfully and I felt a thrill of fear go through me. At least if I stayed here I knew what I would get and what would happen, but if he chose me I could be walking to my execution.