Chapter 4

PICTURE OF CHRISTA ---->

He continued to pace for several more minutes before I gained enough confidence to disturb the pattern. “It’s not your fault.” I said, loud enough for him to hear.

He froze and looked over at me in shock. “Yes it is. Who else’s fault would it be?” he asked his voice softer.

“Mine.” I answered simply and looked down.

“No. no. It’s not your fault Kat. You fell, it was an accident. I should have remained in control.”

I shook my head and glared up at him. “If what I did was an accident then it’s the same for you.” I persisted, shocked at myself for saying so out loud. I covered my mouth and looked away frightened by my actions as well as what he might do.

“No, no. You’re fine. I’m not going to punish you just for speaking or for anything you do. I’d like to hear your opinion more often. I believe that before all this happened you were quite the character by the way I’ve seen you hold back from saying something. Am I right?” he urged. I only nodded. He sat down in front of me and crossed his legs. “So… why are you in the corner?”

I shrugged.

He sighed. “Alright. Um… Do you have any siblings?”

I nodded, my eyes flickering once to his and then back to my legs.

This seemed to give him a kind of jumping off point. “Brother or sister? Or both?”

“I had a brother.” I answered quietly.

“What happened to him, if you don’t mind me asking…” he questioned.

I shrugged once more. I jumped in panic as the door suddenly opened and almost grabbed for Zane, not used to anyone being there but him. He seemed to notice and scooted against the wall beside me and smiled reassuringly. A girl that looked to be around the same age as I was walked in gracefully. She was probably the most beautiful woman I had ever seen and my eyes widened in awe. She had long silky black hair that went down to her waist and her eyes were alight with a happy glow that seemed to make her very presence soothing.

“Zane, Dad wants you. I don’t know why but he just asked me to send you.” She said cheerfully.

Zane rolled his eyes. “As if you don’t know.”

She smiled slyly and I wondered what exactly they were talking about. “Actually he’s blocked me. So I really don’t know.”

I blinked, my mind trying to come up with a solution before looking over at Zane in confusion. “I thought you said that you couldn’t read minds…” I said very quietly, just above a whisper.

The girl’s eyes locked on me and she smiled. “Hello, Kat. I’m Christa, Zane’s younger sister, nice to meet you!” she said smiling while holding her hand out to shake. I timidly and very hesitantly took it and she shook it gently, giving me a curious look.

He smiled at the two of us. “I can’t but Christa can. I’m surprised you were able to figure that out so quickly.”

“She’s a sharp one, gotta watch out for her Zane.” She laughed and winked at me. I smiled a small smile and looked down at my lap.

There was a moment’s pause and Zane got up from where he was sitting. “I won’t be long, I promise and Christa won’t hurt you.” He gave me a reassuring smile before leaving the room.

I looked over to where Christa now sat. She stared back for a moment. “So why exactly are we on the floor?”

I just shrugged.