Chapter 8

PICTURE OF QUINTON--->

We walked through Zane’s bedroom door quietly and found him asleep on the bed. Xavier set all bags on the floor before smiling reassuringly and leaving me alone with the sleeping vampire. I sat down in the chair in the corner that Zane had bitten me and silently wondered when Xavier was going to do my hair but didn’t say anything in case he had forgotten.

I looked over at Zane watching his chest rise and fall peacefully. As I watched him he twitched and his lips moved as he breathed something out too quiet for my ears to hear. I smiled in amusement, watching him for a moment longer before he rolled over and almost sighed, breaking my train of thought. I looked up to his sleeping form once more trying to understand the sudden urge to kiss him before looking away and shaking my head aggressively. I wasn’t to have theses kinds of feelings, not ever and especially not with the vampire prince who was engaged to someone else! I was a human who served vampires, not have feelings for them.

I shoved my thoughts away as I heard Zane groan and roll over, opening his eyes slightly and looking around. “Oh, you’re back? This early? Why did you wake me?” he asked groggily, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

I couldn’t help but display a small smile. “We got done early and you looked at peace and I didn’t want to disturb you.”

He nodded. “You still could have woken me.” he said almost stubbornly.

“Well I haven’t seen you sleep once I’ve been here and I know you’re stressed about certain things so yeah…”

He shrugged. “Don’t worry about it, I can handle it.”

I couldn’t stop the hint of a scowl from appearing on my face. “Zane you’re going to let people walk all over you until eternity end if you keep “handling” it on your own.”

“Well its not like I have anyone to handle it with!” he snapped glaring at me defiantly.

Despite the prickle of uneasiness and fear the went up my spine I felt a pang of hurt and anger towards him. I was only trying to help and he was throwing it into the dirt and stomping on it. I exhaled but kept quiet.

He sighed. “Kat, I’m sorry, I know you’re just trying to help but…”

“No, its fine. I’ll leave you alone about it.” I said icily.

He sighed again. “How was you’re shopping trip? Did you find a dress?”

I nodded. “Yes, It was fun. And speaking with the king?” I asked stiffly.

“It was… okay. I guess. Mostly it was about you and tomorrows ball.” he said casually.

I nodded, feelings slightly curious but not enough to break my annoyance with him at the moment.

“Can I see your dress?” he asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t care. It’s in that bag over there, the one that’s black. Xavier’s friend, Derek, picked it out.”

He picked the bag up and pulled the black dress up out of the plastic, holding it out to examine it, his eyebrows raised. “I certainly like it. Derek’s got good taste. It also matches the collar too.” he said almost absentmindedly.

That snapped my attention to him. “What?”

He gave me a sympathetic look and nodded. “You’re going to have to wear that collar, just for show. My family thinks you’re my slave and only that so we have to act as such. Pretty much don’t speak unless speak to, do as you’re told and just act like a slave…”

I wanted to gape at him in disbelief but I wasn’t quite confident and ready enough to start truly fighting back and instead I grinded my teeth together in anger. He was being a coward all because he was scared of what his family thought.