your siblings are bothered by the age gap (requested)

In this chapter, Y/N is the sister of Hailee and Griffin Steinfeld.

———————————————

"Well, come on in, you two!" Your mom grinned as you and Margot walked through the front door.

Margot was a little nervous as she followed behind you.

You could feel her hand shaking in yours.

"You look beautiful, Margot. Gosh, you're even prettier than Y/N says you are!" Your mom said.

"Oh, thank you so much." Margot smiled.

"Follow me. Everyone else is in the kitchen and dinner is almost done."

You both followed her into the kitchen and as soon as you and Margot walked in, everyone went quiet.

Your dad's eyes lit up and he happily set the spatula down before coming over to you.

"Hi, honey." He said as he pulled you in for a hug.

"Hi, dad. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." He said as he looked at your girlfriend as you pulled away. "And this must be Margot."

"It's nice to meet you!" She grinned as she shook your dad's hand.

"Nice to meet you as well. Y/N has told us so much about you. Take a seat! Dinner is just about ready."

You and Margot walked over to the table, where your brother Griffin and sister Hailee were.

They stared at Margot as you both sat down across from them.

But not in awe like some people do and they didn't look happy at all.

Instead, they were glaring.

Their arms were folded and their jaws were clenched and it made Margot feel uncomfortable.

"What's your problem? Can't even say hi to your sister? You could at least pretend you're happy to see me." You joked.

"Oh, we are happy to see you. Just not her." Griffin said, making your eyebrows furrow.

"What? Why?" You asked. "What did she ever do to you?"

"I don't know, Y/N. How about the ten-year age difference between you two?" Hailee asked. "You're twenty-three and she's thirty-three. That's a big difference!"

Margot lowered her head as she realized that your siblings weren't very fond of her already.

"Why do you need to date my twenty-three-year-old sister, Margot? There are lots of people for you to date." Griffin spoke.

"Well, yes. But I don't care about those people. I care about Y/N." She replied.

You smiled and put your head on her shoulder.

"I don't like the age difference. Something doesn't feel right." Hailee said.

"Stop it!" You said. "Look, I'm a grown woman! I'm perfectly capable of making my own choices. I don't care if you like the age gap or not. I was grown when we met and got together. I'm not a child."

"Look, Mom and Dad might think you're cute together and they might adore her but we don't. You're our little sister. We can't approve of this relationship." Griffin said.

"Then don't! I don't care. I'm an adult, I don't need your approval." You said angrily.

"Drop it!" Your parents told them in unison, expressing their anger over how unsupportive they were being.

Griffin and Hailee looked at each other and then back at Margot with a glare again.

"Quit looking at her that way. You're making her uncomfortable!"

"Are we supposed to pretend we're happy?" Hailee asked.

"Yes! Because I'm happy. That should be all that matters to you both! You know, there are people in relationships with even bigger age gaps. Some people are twenty or thirty years apart. Ten years isn't that big, especially considering we're both adults." You said as Margot anxiously played with her fingers.

"Hailee, Griffin, Margot treats her well and she's happy. You two should be supportive of them!" Your mom smiled.

The tension between you and your siblings was very intense.

Your parents were thrilled that you found someone you love and that you were happier than ever.

Why weren't your siblings?

Why couldn't they just let it go?

"We're trying to protect you," Hailee spoke.

"Well, don't! I don't need anyone to protect me, I'm not thirteen." You argued. "This is getting ridiculous. The age gap isn't that serious. Drop it."

They sighed before shaking their heads.

"We're supposed to sit here and pretend as though we're okay with this?" Griffin asked. "We can't do that. She's thirty-three, you're ten years younger. You have your whole life ahead of you!"

"That's enough, you two. Let it go." Your dad warned them.

But it didn't stop you from saying what you needed to say.

"You're acting like she's fifty or something. She's not. I know I'm young but I'm also responsible, mature, and perfectly capable of handling myself. Margot loves and cares about me. I'm happy! If you can't be kind to her, get to know her, or show her some respect, we have no reason to be here any longer."

You stood up from your seat.

"Come on, baby. Let's get out of here." You said as you held your hand out for Margot.

"Honey, where are you going?" Your mom frowned.

"Sorry, mom. We were looking forward to this but I can't do this to her. Maybe if they drop this and promise to be nicer, we'll come back again soon. But we're leaving for now." You said before hugging your parents.

"Thank you for having me. It was so lovely to meet you both." Margot told your parents before giving them both a quick hug and a sad smile.

She followed you out of the house as your parents glared at your siblings.

"I can't believe you two did that. Shame on both of you." Your dad spoke.

Hailee and Griffin just sighed, knowing they'd probably jumped to conclusions and caused a lot of unnecessary drama.

This should've been a great night.

But they ruined it for everyone.