✧ 05 ✧ run ins

no episode reference

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

On Sunday, Matty found herself in a knee length emerald dress, hair pinned back by a million bobby pins, sipping on lemonade. Today the Daughters of the American Revolution had a luncheon that Matty and her friends were required to attend. Francine had called the Friday before to make sure that Matty knew it was incredibly important she attend as a future member of the D.A.R. In other words, this was a social obligation and she had no getting out of it.

"You kissed?!" Briar exclaimed as she and Matty grabbed drinks from the bar. Matty had been telling her about the date from the night before.

"It was not like that," Matty insisted. "We were both...sad. I don't know. We got caught up in the moment."

"You haven't kissed anyone since- Well, you know. This is a huge deal!" Charlotte squealed.

"Lottie, shush!" The brunette girl pleaded as they moved away from the nearby women. "It was a date that ended up being two acquaintances bonding over past relationships. It was not a big deal. We're probably never going to date again."

"Boring," Charlotte groaned, sipping her lemonade. "Ugh, where's the alcohol?"

"The alcohol is reserved for those of age," Shira Huntzberger whispered sternly in Charlotte's ear. "Matty, darling, you look fabulous!" The older blonde woman then turned to Charlotte. "Now, I promised your dad that I would make sure you acted like a proper young lady. Do not embarrass us. Let's go chat with Jackie. She's a Senator's wife." Shira smiled politely at the girls and pulled Charlotte away.

"That woman scares me," Briar admitted.

"Please," scoffed Matty. "Shira's all bark and no bite."

Matty's eye caught Francine who was waving her over. While Briar took that as her opportunity to find someone else to talk to, Matty put on her best smile and joined her grandmother and her friends.

Francine grabbed her hand once she was close enough and guided her over. "Ladies, this is Matty, my granddaughter. She's a Freshman at Yale!" The ladies collectively "aww'd."

"You're Christopher's girl, aren't you?" one of the ladies she recognized as Maria Lucas asked.

"That's me," she replied.

"I am so glad that Christopher got it together. What is it he does now?"

"Um, he does Investment Banking in Boston."

"Marvelous. What a respectable career!" Wendy Hanson beamed.

"Are you still dancing, Matty?" A familiar voice asked. She had made eye contact with Emily Gilmore. She hadn't realized that Emily was in the group of ladies until now.