✧ 11 ✧ the game

S4

S4. E9

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

Saturday may have well been Christmas Day for Matty.

Matty woke up with more excitement than she had felt in a long time. Despite the brisk weather, it was a beautiful day for a football game. She practically leaped out of bed and opened up her blinds to let the sun pool into her room. Charlotte handed Matty a cup of coffee and grimaced at the brunette's excitement for the day.

However, Matty took no notice. She threw on some jeans with a well fit Yale crewneck then wasted no time tending to her hair. After tending to her waves, she slipped on a white headband to push her bangs back and applied a bulldog sticker to her cheek. Smiling to herself in pride over her outfit that perfectly displayed her school spirit, she skipped into the common room where Charlotte was braiding Briar's hair into French braids.

"It is game day!" Matty exclaimed to her roommates. Charlotte, who was still wearing her pajamas, rolled her eyes playfully. "I am so excited! Dad and I haven't been to a game in like forever. And after last night, he really needs some cheering up."

"I could cheer him up," Charlotte teased earning a laugh from Briar.

"Ew!" Matty gagged. "Absolutely not." She grabbed a granola bar from one of their cupboard and sat down on the loveseat. "He was so upset last night. I think they really got to him. It just sucks that after all these years, nothing he does is good enough for Grandpa."

"I can relate," sighed Charlotte. "Not all of us had a Christopher raising us."

Briar nodded in agreement.

"What do you mean?" Matty asked.

"You're not serious," Briar laughed, but the confused look on her friend's face told her she was. "Tilly, you were raised by a dad who always told you that you could be whatever you wanted. He never forced you to attend any events or wear those goofy dresses."

"He didn't force you into some family business," Charlotte added.

"Everything you have done has been your choice. You chose to go to those D.A.R. meetings because you liked that it made Francine happy. Your dad never forced you to go. You chose to wear those poofy dresses as a kid because you liked the way they flew up when you twirled. But Christopher never made you wear them," Briar continued. "That's the difference. He actually gave you a choice."

Matty sat solemnly, munching on her granola bar, and mulled over the words from her best friend.

She always knew she had gotten lucky, but sometimes she forgot just how lucky she was. And after all the things Straub had said to Christopher last night, she was really grasping how thankful she was for how her dad raised her. He never forced his own will on her.