✧ 13 ✧ secret societies & baby showers

S4

S4. E11 (loosely)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

Matty toyed with the invitation in her hands. It was well done, of course- premium paper with beautiful lace on the edges. Light pink words on a pale green background invited her to celebrate Sherry Tinsdale's baby shower, next Saturday at 11 A.M. RSVP by today. Matty hadn't yet.

It had been a month since she last saw her dad and Sherry. It had been two weeks since she got the invite. She took it with her everywhere she went, staring at it in between classes and during mealtimes. She hoped that eventually the excitement would bubble up, and she would email Sherry's best friend to say she was coming. That hadn't happened yet.

For two weeks, she debated in her head whether she would go or not. She should go. It's being held at her house, after all. But things were still so awkward with her dad and Sherry.

Since arriving back from break they had barely spoken. Matty was up to her ears in classwork now that she was taking even more than a full load. If she wasn't in class or studying, she was at the dance studio. If not there, she was being dragged to some D.A.R. function or a fundraiser for some endangered species she had never heard of. The point is: communication with her dad had been lacking.

For the first time in Matty's 19 years of existing, she felt distant from him. And that wasn't a feeling she was used to. But rather than talk to him, talk about her feelings, she had opted for an email relationship. She had claimed that with her busy schedule this was a sure way to stay in touch. In reality, it meant she wouldn't have to be fake happy with him on the phone.

"You're still looking at that invitation?" Briar asked, taking the seat across from her best friend.

Quickly, Matty shoved the paper back into her bag and pretended to be very interested in her salad.

"Just say no, Tilly. It's obvious you don't want to go."

"But how's that gonna look? I'm her fiancé's daughter. I'm just not going to show up to a baby shower for my little sister?" Matty sighed while her fork tossed the lettuce around her plate.

"Isn't it like bad luck to go to a baby shower if you don't like the mom?"

Matty paused and crinkled her nose. "I have never heard of that. I don't- I don't think that's a thing."

"Well, you get the point. Maybe it's better if you stay away if you feel so uncertain about it. Let Sherry enjoy the day and don't force yourself to be miserable," the redhead said matter-of-factly as she began to eat her lunch.