✧ 10 ✧ wasted investment

S4

S4. E9
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

All the students were buzzing with excitement at the fast approaching Harvard vs Yale game, and Matty was no exception. Francine had a big influence on Matty growing up and could certainly be credited for her exceptional fashion sense. She made sure Matty was a proper lady to society. She was the one who took Matty to etiquette classes and signed her up for the debutante ball.

However, at the end of the day, Matty was still raised by a teenage boy. Her earliest memories were sketching dresses while she and Christopher watched football every Saturday and Sunday on T.V. When football was over, they would become engrossed in basketball. One of the photos Christopher keeps in his wallet is the two of them at a college football game with Matty wearing those large noise blocking headgear. Although she chose dance and loved all things fashion, there was no denying that this girl loved sports.

Matty had attended every home game she could with Briar and Charlotte. Charlotte didn't care about the sport as much as she cared about the players, and most times, those refs should be thankful that Briar wasn't on that field arguing with them about the flags thrown. She had a lot of opinions during the games. Matty usually had to remind her that the whole reason she was at the game was to report for the newspaper.

The Thursday before the Game, Matty and Charlotte grabbed their food from the dining hall while Charlotte told her friend all about a new boutique downtown. Briar had already saved the couches near the fireplace, so they could work on their papers and talk about their plans for the big game coming up, but someone caught Matty's attention.

Rory was waving Matty over to her table where she sat with a friend and none other than their grandfather, Richard Gilmore. Matty gave an apologetic look to her friends and split off from Charlotte towards the group. She promised to try with Rory, and she wanted to keep that promise.

"Matty!" Richard beamed. "It's good to see you!"

"You as well, Mr. Gilmore," she said, shaking his hand.

Her relationship with Emily and Richard had always been formal. A wave and small talk at a Christmas Party, and that was the extent of it. Now that Matty had agreed to get to know Lorelai and Rory, she wasn't sure what that made them to her. Technically, they were her grandparents, but she was so used to acting like they weren't.

"Would you like to join us for lunch?" he asked. He was positively beaming, and she knew she couldn't refuse.

"Sure," she said, taking the seat next to Richard.

"Matty, this is Paris," Rory introduced, pointing to the girl next to her. Matty waved kindly, and Paris nodded. She recognized her from several of her grandparents' parties in past years. She knew the Geller name well, along with all the drama that came with.

"So, what ended up happening with your roommate, Richard?" Paris asked.

"Oh, we wound up throwing him out of the window every night for a month, and then he transferred," Richard said casually.