✧ 14 ✧ no c's allowed

no episode reference

recommended listening: 008-013 from the soundtrack

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

Matty sat on the ground and exhaled loudly, desperate to take off her heels.

After reciting the Life and Death Brigade Oath and carving their initials into the stone of Connecticut's capitol, they had been driven two hours into a clearing of a forest. Lanterns hung on the branches of the trees, illuminating the space. There were small tents pitched, and everyone dressed in beautiful ballgowns and tuxedos. The food was rich and delicious, and the alcohol was even better. No one was using the letter C for some reason- apparently they rotated through which letters would be excluded at each event.

But everyone was having a great time. Matty, however, was tasked with serving all of the other members in a ridiculous ballgown and a gorilla mask that was making her sweat. Landing in a patch of grass near one of the many heat lamps that were placed around the clearing to keep everyone warm, she tightened her wool shawl around her arms and gazed at the starry sky.

"Not what you thought?" Robert chuckled, joining her on the soft grass.

"It's beautiful," she admitted. "The mask stinks though."

"If it makes you feel better, every new member has to do this," he said with a shrug.

"It doesn't," she laughed. "This whole time- This is what you guys were doing at Yale. None of you said anything."

"That's the whole point of a se- um hidden so- hidden group," Robert said, struggling to avoid the c's in 'secret society'.

"Good save," she giggled.

"We wouldn't have been able to tell you guys," he continued. "But honestly, I'm surprised Logan never let it slip."

"Yeah, me too," Matty muttered. "Guess there's a lot I didn't know."

Robert sighed and scooted closer to her. "I missed you and Briar and Lottie. I-I never thought all of us would...drift."

"It's wasn't intentional," Matty said, pulling at the grass on the ground. "If you had told me two years ago that we wouldn't all be friends anymore, I- I wouldn't have believed you." She closed her eyes to avoid letting a tear slip. "I uh I guess that's just- just life though."

"It stinks. Life really stinks."

"Tell me about it," she laughed. "So, why haven't you tried to hang out with us? I mean, we saw you at the game, but other than that-"

"I didn't know if you'd want to see me, honestly. You girls kind of split off, and I just assumed that you wanted to be rid of me."

"Don't be modest, Robert," Matty teased. "Rid of you? Never!"