✧ 07 ✧ matty the master avoider

no episode reference

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

October was slowly coming to an end. Most of the trees at Yale had changed color- a mixture of red, orange, and yellow created a canopy over the campus. The weather had gotten much more frigid. It was officially wool sweater season.

In Matilda Hayden's opinion, it was one of the best seasons. Fall and winter held a special magic in the air. The food was cozy and warm. There was no better way to warm than with a good bowl of chili and hot cocoa. The fashion was a million timed better. She couldn't think of anything she loved more than to wrap up in layers of deep red and brown hues.

Today was no different. Matty wrapped her long wool coat tighter around her waist as she scavenged her purse for change. Finally, she handed the barista the money and grabbed the coffee tray along with a pastry. Matty had just put some sugar packets in the middle of the tray when her phone began to ring. Looking around frantically, she stuffed her croissant in her mouth and flipped her phone open.

"Hello?" she answered with a mouth full of croissant.

"Hello, Cookie Monster? I'm trying to find my daughter, Matty," Christopher teased.

Matty swallowed. "Ha ha. You are so funny," she said with a roll of her eyes. "It was a croissant, by the way. Not a cookie."

"Oh, my mistake. So, how has life been for my girl?"

"Not bad. Grandma has me going to different functions every other weekend, and they want me to be the understudy in the ballet which means more practices. And I have a paper due on Monday."

"Well, well.. Someone's a very busy gal. Thanks for squeezing me in for a chat," Chris chuckled. "Hey, don't forget to actually have fun while you're in college."

"Dancing is fun," she quipped.

"Dancing on a table with a bottle of tequila is fun."

"Because that's so me," laughed Matty.

"I'm just saying that in all of the dancing, classes, designing, it might be nice to get out there and go to a party or something! What are your halloween plans?"

"I have none," Matty said nonchalantly.

"It's college! You're telling me there's no Halloween parties this weekend?"

"I'm sure there are, but none that I'm attending. And before you say anything, I am happy to not attend. It really doesn't bother me."

"Fine, I will drop it."

"Thank you. So, how is Sherry?" Matty asked awkwardly.

"Sherry is good," Christopher said slowly. "I uh actually wanted to talk to you about her."