✧ 18 ✧ a kiss, if you want

S4

S4. E14

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

Second semester was not for the faint of heart. Matty Hayden's schedule was jam packed. The Spring recital was coming at her at 95 mph. Almost every evening was spent in the studio, practicing. If she wasn't dancing, she was in class. If not in class, she was at home sowing three ballgowns for the Life and Death Brigade meeting this weekend. Every night when she sat on the couch sowing while F.R.I.E.N.D.S. played in the background, she wondered why she insisted on making them. Why couldn't they just buy their dresses like normal people?

Despite all of this, Matty felt like she was thriving. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for her twin sister. Every time Matty saw Rory in Professor Fleming's class, it looked like she was barely hanging on by a thread. Today, Matty finally caught up to her as she rushed to the dining hall.

"Hey, where's the fire?" Matty joked, putting a hand on Rory's arm to slow her down.

"Huh?"

"You look like you're in a rush, that's all," Matty said, trying to keep up with Rory's pace. "I feel like I've barely seen you recently."

"Oh yeah," Rory hummed. "I just have a lot going on," she dismissed with a wave of her hand. Suddenly, Rory stopped in her tracks and grabbed Matty's arm, spinning the younger twin to face her. "How many classes are you taking?"

"Uh six. Why?"

"Is that including dance?" Rory asked, ignoring Matty's question.

"No. Dance is separate," Matty responded, an eyebrow raised.

"You're actually taking six courses? And- And you're like passing all of them? What are your grades exactly?! When was the last time you checked them?" Rory interrogated.

Matty took a step back in caution, a nervous smile playing on her lips. "Um, I checked them a few days ago."

"And?!"

"They're A's," Matty said hesitantly. "Rory, is everything alright?"

"Of course! I'm great! I'm perfect, actually!" she exclaimed as she took off in a run towards the dining hall, leaving Matty stranded in the hallway with a concerned look on her face.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

Rory lied. She was so far from great.

Rory was falling apart at the seams, and it felt like there was nothing she could do to save herself from drowning. She thought Yale was going to be easy. She thought it'd be like Chilton, and she'd eventually hit her stride.

No matter how hard she tried, it was like nothing was good enough. But then she'd watch her twin sister, and it was like everything came so easy to her.