✧ 12 ✧ universe vs. matty

S4

S4. E10 (loosely)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

For most Freshman, winter break wasn't long enough. For Matty Hayden, it felt too long. Ever since the big Game, Matty had been skillfully keeping all calls with her dad very short. There had only been three weeks of the semester left, and she couldn't risk being distracted by her home life or feelings.

But once the semester ended, she knew there was no avoiding him. She'd have to go home.

On December 14th, Matty arrived at home and was welcomed with open arms from her dad and an overly excited Sherry with a 21 week bump and a diamond ring. Matty was so blindsided by the engagement, she just stood there speechless while Sherry squealed and hugged her before going on some tangent about how Matty had to be her Maid of Honor.

It took her a few minutes for her brain to catch up, and that was when she remembered her dad mentioning it on the phone two weeks prior.

December 13, 2003
Matty was frantically tearing her dorm room apart in search of her new leotard for dance practice, and the last thing she needed was an impromptu call with her father about whatever was going on in his life.

"Matty, I have something really important to ask you about," she heard him say as she looked underneath her bed in the drawers of her bed frame.

"I'm all ears, Dad."

"Well, I think-"

"Guys! This is not funny!" Charlotte's voice boomed from the next room. Suddenly, Matty's attention had shifted from her dad's voice to the blonde girl frantically turning the common room upside down.

"My date is going to be here any minute!" She heard her shriek.

"And I know it's a big life change-"

Her dad continued on as Matty moved onto her closet.

"-Right thing to do."

"I found them!" Briar yelled from the bathroom. "You put them in the medicine cabinet."

"-marriage is a big deal."

"Matty, are you looking for your red leotard or your teal one?" Briar called out.

"Teal!" she replied.

"Matty, what do you think?" Christopher's voice snapped her back go their conversation which she had conveniently forgot about.

"Um, yeah, that's great."

"Are you sure? I know things haven't been the same since- Well, you know. But this is the right thing to do."

"Yup," Matty replied absentmindedly as she gratefully took the teal leotard which had ended up at the bottom of Briar's laundry basket.

"Well, that's great! I wish you could be here."