Chapter 1: The Great Boa Escape

Okay! We're finally getting more into your story! I apologize in advance if parts of my writing are messed up, this was originally written by me in the third person and Y/N used to be a character I created name Willow Gordiano so if you see mentions of that name it means I accidentally left that un-edited! I'll try my best to avoid that and I hope you enjoy this part as well! <3

Ten years had flown by since that fateful night when Harry had been delivered next store to my family. Of course, I didn't remember that night nor did I know any of the strange happenings that my mother was tied into until later on in my life, but my parents were only trying to protect me and Harry until the time was right.

Beyond that crazy world though, let's get into the details on how Harry and I had truly become good friends over the years. It was mostly at school since Harry's aunt and uncle only tolerated my presence because Dudley has always had a crush on me since the first grade, why? I never really knew but at least it gave me an excuse to see Harry at home every once in a while!

Today though, today I knew it was going to be a very long day because today was Dudley's birthday and just like every year before I knew I was going to have to suffer through Dudley and his friends' attempts to impress me through wrestling and beating each other up. If that failed to catch my attention, then I would instead have to suffer through their teasing, all the while Dudley's parents would be glaring and whispering who knows what behind my back.

There was one good thing about this day though, it was the fact that I would get to see Harry, even if it was only for a few minutes before he was sent off to old Mrs. Figg's house, I would take what I could get.

With this thought in mind, I hopped out of bed and headed downstairs to the sound of my mum's voice and the smell of my dad's cooking, my mouth was already watering at the thought of the delicious waffles and bacon he always made us on his days off from work!

----

By the time I waved goodbye to my parents and skipped next door to the Dursley's house, Piers Polkiss had already arrived. Piers was a longtime friend of Dudley's whose main role was to hold people's arms behind their back while Dudley punched them in the stomach and who continually threatened me in hopes that I would let him copy my homework; it never worked though. I already knew he would never hit a girl and often used that to my advantage in order to annoy Dudley and his friends.

The weasel-like boy gave me a sneer and was about to say something most likely as ugly as the look on his face when the door opened and interrupted him. I felt a slow grin grow on my face, and no, it wasn't because Dudley had just come out to show off his present, in front of me stood my long-time best friend Harry and as soon as he saw me he blurted out the good news, "I get to come with!"

My mouth dropped open in surprise and before I could even try to stop myself, I had already run to Harry and hugged him in my excitement, only to be separated quite forcefully by Vernon who sneered, "Yes, but he'll be staying out of our way, right boy?"

"Yes sir." Harry replied but was still grinning even after Dudley grabbed me by the arm and yanked me away from him, insisting that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Harry and with that the both of us were squished into the backseat of the Dursley's car on opposite ends.

The car ride was long since Dudley kept rambling on about all the new presents he had gotten for his birthday and every time I wouldn't reply to something he said, I would receive a sharp elbow in the side until I finally did speak up. Even with this though, Harry and I still made eye contact with each other occasionally, and smiled at each other, bursting with excitement for when we would finally reach the zoo.

Meanwhile Vernon began complaining about how obnoxious motorcycles were and Harry mentioned something about having a dream about a flying motorcycle that caught my attention. I could have sworn I had that exact same dream a few times over the years but before I could mention it, Mr. Dursley snapped at Harry, proclaiming that no such thing existed.

"It was only a dream," I muttered under my breath on Harry's behalf, receiving a glare through the rear-view mirror from Mr. Dursley as we finally pulled up to the zoo and got out of the car.

The first stop we all made was of course the ice cream cart at the front of the building where the Dursley's bought everyone something besides Harry. Just to spite them I picked up a second spoon at the stand and shared my ice cream with Harry, buying us more time to talk as well.

The two of us stuck to the back of the group as we discussed more about the flying motorcycle dream we had both had recently. After that we got on the topic of the strange people in colorful robes we sometimes saw wandering the streets, they would always wave to us or even occasionally talk to my parents!

The conversation only continued to get more bizarre from there until I was once again dragged away from Harry by none other than Dudley who was hoping to scare me with the upcoming bug and reptile house. I of course remained unfazed and Dudley soon lost interest, now rapping on the glass of a sleeping boa's exhibit.

"Leave him alone Dudley, he's just trying to rest!" I would snap at him, yanking his hand away from the glass.

That only allowed for me to receive a hefty glare from Vernon, Dudley seeming like he could care less as he replied, "It's boring anyways," and walked off, leaving both Harry and me behind to apologize to the poor boa constrictor.

As they did so the snake lifted its head to both our surprise and I could have sworn it winked at us! Harry must have thought the same because he began to talk to the great boa, it started out normal but as Harry went on his words shifted and changed... They started sounding like a hiss and soon enough they transformed enough that what he was saying was completely unintelligible to my ears, but it most definitely looked like the boa was listening!

I remained transfixed to the two communicating until a loud bellow came from behind us and the two of us were shoved out of the way and onto the floor by none other than Dudley once again. Everything happened very quickly from there, I fell, then blinked, and then suddenly the glass on the boa's exhibit disappeared completely! 

My jaw dropped for the second time that day, but the shocked expression soon turned into a grin as I looked at Harry and then to the newly freed boa constrictor. The snake quickly slithered onto the floor and began to snap playfully at the heels of Dudley, Peter, and the rest of the people in the snake house as it slithered to freedom. Dudley ended up getting so scared that he fell backwards into the exhibit with a splash, landing directly in the exhibit's stone pool made to contain the boa's drinking water!

Then, with another blink the glass suddenly reappeared in front of us, Dudley was trapped screaming inside! Harry and I burst out laughing, well... Until a very red faced and panicked Vernon Dursley came roaring through the crowd... Uh, oh....

In that last moment, the boa constrictor looked back towards us for a split second, I liked to think that was its own way of saying thank you to us both before slithering off to wherever the future may take it.

The car ride home was over in a flash and before I even got a chance to say goodbye to Harry, he was thrown inside and the door was slammed behind the Dursleys. I just took that as my cue to head home where I could tell my parents everything that had happened today.

Just as expected my parents were waiting for me at the kitchen table and immediately asked how the day had gone, to which I recalled all the details.

"Well, I'll be... Sounds like you've had quite the day pumpkin, why don't you get ready for bed? Mama and papa will be up to kiss you goodnight in just a minute." My dad replied, kissing me on the forehead and sending me on my way.

I glanced one last time at the Dursley home before deciding I was quite tired and headed upstairs, putting the frantic whispering of my parents – still seated at the kitchen table – behind me, today had most certainly been one of the best days I'd had all summer!