Chapter 6: The Talking Hat

(Be proud I ended up posting this at a decent time this Monday! 😂) Just a heads up, this chapter will be the only one that will define a specific gender for Y/N for the sake of the story, you will be in the girl's dormitories but hopefully that won't take you out of the emersion too much! I'm still trying to keep the story as gender-neutral as possible! I hope you enjoy!

The door swung open immediately for the first years and a stern-looking woman stood in in the large doorway to greet them, I knew immediately that this was not someone I would want to cross, and with a glance at Harry, I knew he was thinking the same.

"All yers Professor McGonagall," Hagrid would say giving Harry and me a sly smile before ushering the first years inside the grand castle.

Floating torches lit up the walls as they followed the woman who they now knew as Professor McGonagall until they reached another set of grand doors to which all the students could hear the low rumble of talking, it sounded as if the whole school was already on the other side!

"Welcome to Hogwarts! The banquet will start shortly, but before I can let you in, I need to go over a few things with you all first so listen up!" the Professor would say loudly to get the nervous but excited group's attention. 

"Inside you will all be sorted into your houses; they will be your family away from home for your remaining years at Hogwarts" She would continue, listing the four houses and explaining how house points would work along with the end-of-year house cup!

"The sorting ceremony will take place shortly in front of the school, so I suggest you fix yourselves up before you head in, I'll be back for you all in a moment." The woman would explain before leaving the chamber and the rest of the frightened first years to worry about how this 'sorting ceremony' would go.

"Wait... How exactly are they supposed to sort us into houses?" I would ask both Ron and Harry as if they would know the answer.

"It's some sort of test, Fred also said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking about that part..." Ron would say, seeming a little unsure of himself and making me feel no better whatsoever about this whole situation.

"A-a test? Like on spells or something? I don't know any magic" Harry would say nervously to which Ron only shrugged, leaving our imaginations to run wild on what we could possibly be tested on... All I knew was that I did not want to get separated from my new friends during this whole thing, that would be the absolute worst outcome.

As I was continuing to get lost in a downward spiral of thoughts, a scream interrupted it, causing all three of us to jump at least six feet in the air! But when I saw what it was that had startled the first years in the back, I felt no fear, only awe and fascination as what seemed to be spirits came floating through the back walls, all deep in conversation with one another!

"Ah! The new students! I wish you the best of luck during the sorting ceremony and let's hope to see you in the Hufflepuff house!" One of the pale figures said, seemingly dressed as a friar of sorts.

Before anyone could respond, the door opened and out came Professor McGonagall once more, "We are ready for you now students, single file please, and hurry it along!" She would say with a wave of her hands as the students quickly stumbled into a somewhat straight line, I stood behind Harry with Ron behind me as we walked into the large banquet room.

It was a beautiful sight to see inside, four very long tables lined the room while bewitched candles floated above our heads in what seemed to be a perfect reflection of the outside sky, it even took me a moment to realize that it was just the ceiling and not open freely to the night outside!