Chapter 12: A Special Stone

Christmas break went by quickly after that, Harry and I had went back to being best friends once again, even Ron had noticed the change for the better in Harry and he seemed just as relieved as I felt.

Hermione had come back and was quite disappointed to hear that we still knew nothing about Nicholas Flammel... Sorry Hermione!

Along with this, Quidditch practice started up once more and I continued to go to every single one with Harry! The team was more lenient with letting me borrow their brooms, everyone was convinced that I would be their team's best chaser next year!

On top of this, Harry had begun telling me about the nightmares he had been having lately too, about his parent's death replaying in his dreams, over and over again. I was still scared to go to sleep every night as well...

The two of us soon found a near cure for the dreams that plagued us though, learning that a good day of training on the broom had greatly reduced both of our nightmares. We would often race each other when the professors weren't looking and Harry had been teaching me the moves Wood had been teaching the rest of the team during practices as well!

Needless to say, things were good! For a while at least... Soon after Wood brought with him some very bad news, it was about Gryffindor's upcoming game against Hufflepuff... Snape had petitioned to become this next game's referee!

When we told the news to the rest of our little  group, Ron and Hermione's jaws dropped.

"You've got to be kidding! Everyone knows Snape won't play fair if he feels like Gryffindor is threatening the cup for Slytherin!" Ron would blurt out in disbelief.

"Not only that, but what if he tries cursing Harry's broom again!" Hermione would add in horror, doing very little to ease my worry for Harry that had formed in the pit of my stomach. "You just can't play, Harry!" Hermione would cry out.

"Pretend you're sick!" Ron would add.

"Or that you broke your leg!" I would add as well, trying desperately to find a way to get him out of playing in the game.

"Or actually break your leg!" Ron would vocalize.

"Whoa... That's a little too far..." I would reply with a frown.

"You guys know I can't do that! If I drop out we don't have a replacement seeker so all of Gryffindor would have to drop out too. Plus, everyone would just think I was too scared to face Snape anyway." Harry would say to the dismay of the three of us.

Before anyone was able to discuss or come up with any more ideas for Harry the portrait of the fat lady would swing open and in would hop Neville, falling flat on his face soon after.

"Neville! What happened!?" I would ask in concern, I was at his side in an instant.

"Malfoy happened" The boy would say in a muffled reply.

"Oh dear, it's the leg-locker curse, let me help you out Neville." Hermione would say soon after, with a few words and a flick of her wrist the boy would be free once more. I would have to tuck that counter curse away for future use, just in case.

"Thanks Hermione..." Neville would say glumly, taking a seat next to Harry who I could tell felt bad about the whole ordeal as he passed his last chocolate frog to the boy. "Oh! Thanks as well Harry, I'm gonna head to bed but d'you want the card?" He would ask having already unwrapped the frog and tossed the card on the table in front of them, it was another Dumbledore one.

"No thanks, I already have five of him." Harry would reply as Neville nodded to them and headed upstairs. Meanwhile Harry had picked the card up nonchalantly and was re-reading the back when suddenly his eyes widened... "I KNEW I SAW HIS NAME BEFORE!" He would cry out excitedly, pointing to a sentence on the back of the card.