Chapter 13: Norbert

We're getting closer and closer to the end! Have fun with the rollercoaster of these next few chapters!

Quirrell must have been braver than we originally thought because a few weeks had passed and still no disaster had struck Hogwarts, Snape remaining as grumpy as always...

The four of us had been trying our best to be a bit nicer to Quirrell as well, Ron even told off some students who were planning to prank the poor Professor!

It was later now, I had woken up in a cold sweat after another one of those nightmares... My head was pounding! But I supposed it was good that the two men, one whom I now believed to be Snape, were still planning out how to get to the stone. I knew I wouldn't be getting back to sleep anytime soon though... So with a sigh I got out of bed and crept out of the Gryffindor common rooms.

Lost in thought and now wandering towards the grounds outside while still trying to remain stealthy to avoid the castle's caretaker, I would hear the distant rumble of an all too familiar motorcycle.

Looking up to the sky I would spot the flying motorcycle's headlight and run up to meet Hagrid, I knew I would get a talking to for being out of bed so late but I couldn't help the grin that appeared on my face at the sight of the grizzly man.

As he touched down and spotted me he would stumble off his motorbike in surprise, "Y/N! What are you doin up so late?! Yer gonna get yerself in trouble!" He would exclaim, taking a stumbling step towards me.

"I couldn't sleep... Wait! Hagrid? Are you drunk?!" I would ask in concern, running up to support the swaying man as best as I could without getting crushed underneath him.

A guilty expression would cross over Hagrid's face as the larger man stuttered to find the right words, "I may o' had a drink o' two..." He would finally reply, looking down at his feet in shame before perking up again. "But I won somethin' amazing Y/N!"

The giant would stumble back away from me for a moment as he began to dig through the many pockets in his coat, pulling out a shiny black stone of sorts. "You won a shiny rock..?" I would ask, dumbfounded.

"Not jus' a shiny rock Y/N! It's a dragon's egg!"
He would reply, shock showing instantly on my face, my expression shifting from excitement first to horror as I took a closer look. "A Norwegian Ridgeback as a matter o' fact! They're a rare species! We should get it on the fire as soon as possible!"

"But Hagrid! Having this is illegal! If you get caught you're going to be fired! Wait... Did you say to get it on the fire as soon as possible..?" I had read quite a few books on dragons during my time here at Hogwarts and I immediately knew where Hagrid was heading with this, after all, mother dragons would often breathe fire on their eggs to keep them warm until they hatch. "You can't be thinking of actually hatching this thing Hagrid!" I would cry in outrage.

Hagrid simply gave me a sheepish look before passing me the egg to hold just in case the man's swaying caused him to fall or drop the precious cargo. I would give a frustrated sigh but cradle the egg close nonetheless before asking, "How many drinks did you have tonight Hagrid?! And how the bloody hell did you manage to stumble across and win a dragon's egg of all things?" I would demand.

"Well, I've jus'- I've been a plain wreck ever since I let that information slip o'bout Nicolas Flammel to you lot an' I figured a few drinks migh' help me calm down a bit an' then a stranger walks in-"

"Hagrid, I'm sorry but you should know by now that if there's something that concerns Harry and has the possibility of getting him hurt, we're going to want to find out, especially after that Quidditch incident, Harry could have gotten hurt or worse! I would do anything to protect him and I know Ron and Hermione would too." I would reply firmly but gently.