Chapter 2 - Wilson

Wilson

"...what's that all about?"

I knew those beautiful eyes looked familiar.

Damn. Kora. Raymond. — why didn't I see her name on the application before?

But still, how? How in the entire world, could the universe concoct my ex-girlfriend, ex-love-of-my-life, bane of my existence to be sitting here in front of me, responsible for this cursed next damned step in my life.

Play it cool.

I couldn't afford to lose this opportunity. I don't particularly have another shot anywhere else. Nobody wanted some guy in his mid twenties with no experience and a lame marketing degree I barely got through. The 4 year gap of wasting my life wasn't appealing either.

She saw right through that. I'm sure she figured out exactly what I was doing. Still, I'm determined, this was my last shot and I would do anything to make it work. However, with her part of hiring process I might not have a chance.

I took a breath to steady my thoughts and looked away from her. I had to look away from her since I was 2 seconds away from glancing down and risking pitching a tent in a room full of potential employers. She looked so different, but still lovely. Distracting.

I missed her natural curly hair. It was a lighter brown last I saw her.

I didn't know what might happen, but I had to try.

"I'll be honest...I may not have much experience, but my eagerness speaks for himself. Because I'm not experienced, I have no set ways, I'm moldable and wanting to learn. I don't want to get basic training just to do this job, I really want to learn because I want to commit my life to this. I wouldn't just work here, I would make it a part of me. I'm so passionate about this—I want to embody this company and work my ass off to improve it along with myself, inside and out."

I continued after appreciating them hearing me out. "If I got a chance, I could show you how far I'm willing to go, you really won't regret it. Either way, thank you so much for this opportunity, I really hope to hear from you all again."

I stood and shook the first man's hand, thanking them fervently for the opportunity, but still trying not too seem too eager, though I think I failed.

I grabbed her hand last and bit back any sensations it sent through my body. I squeezed it tightly, attempting to appear endearing, maybe wanting, but feared it came across challenging.

She teased me with a snarky goodbye and a part of me wished that wasn't the last time I would see her.

I practically ran out of the building after that and stopped on the curve, wanting to throw up. I would have if I had any food in me at all.

I looked around at where I was again. I still couldn't believe she worked here.

Good for you K.

I knew she'd make it far in life, if she just got rid of me. She sure did. Broke my heart along the way and destroyed every part of me, but I only think about that on a monthly basis now— progress.

I hated her. I hated how she left everything and how easily she moved on from us, like it meant nothing.
My feet dragged as I shuffled to the bus stop. I paced back and forth, waiting all alone in the blazing sun, making my sweating even worse.

If I didn't get this, I would never tap into my trust and will end up practically homeless, which I'm sure I deserve, but not anymore than my father and this righteous ploy he's suddenly developed the past year.

My phone buzzed.

The bus approached and I hopped on.

The message read

- Be here 7 am tomorrow — 10 min early or I'm off to the next person.
    Bitch.

What?

I checked to see who the message was from.

New boss, bitch.

Joy overwhelmed me before the gut-wrenching anxiety.
I could do this. I could get a job and I could work for 2 years to show my father I was responsible enough to do this. I could use my trust to do something good and make a name for myself, maybe even make a difference in the world. 

If I had to kiss my ex-girlfriends ass for two years I should be able to do that much.
I think...