Chapter 5 - Kora

Kora

I didn't have time for lunch. Many days this was the only time Thomas could meet with me and his time was way more valuable than mine. Not everyday, but probably most of my time. I've gotten used to it. I occasionally ate breakfast and rarely eat lunch. As long as I had one or the other I'll have enough energy for the day, otherwise I stayed seated in my desk and worked from there. We had the option to work from home. Well...they did. I rarely actually got the opportunity.

I got back from the meeting 10 floors up and ignored the scatter of people — pretending they just got back from lunch. I knew they were flocking Wil, and I was fine with it. I preferred they took long lunches and breaks, I didn't care if they fooled around once in a while, but for some reason they didn't like to—not around me.

Wilson sat in his chair, still combing through papers. I ignored him and the bag of food on the corner of his desk. Sure, he'll make sure he eats, but my assistant didn't think to grab me any—

Oh.

I hesitantly grabbed the cup on my desk and opened the lid.

It could be poisoned. I should throw it out. I thought before the waft of cinnamon hit me and I couldn't resist. I closed it back and sipped it, rolling my eyes in pleasure.

I kept sipping as I closed the door and locked it — causing it to turn the glass box to tint into a light blue.

Fine. At least he did one thing decent today. But I won't reward the bare minimum. Especially not to my ex, although the bare minimum was an improvement—to him.

An hour later a knock came on the door.

I grunted permission to enter, keeping my gaze on my computer.

"What's next?" I don't hear the voice continue as I continued — zoned into the email that was written by a complete idiot.

I jumped at the slam of papers on my desk.

I removed my glasses and looked up at Wilson. Of course it's him. Who else would bother me beyond reason?

"What?" my voice didn't hide the irritation.

His brows rose and he matched my annoyance. "I said... what's. next?"

His hands were on his hips.

"Ryan!" I called her in, she jumped in within seconds. "Yes?" Her eager pitch squeaked. "Please double check these dates and make sure the spreadsheets were all updated since last month?"

She nodded and smiled and she struggled grabbing the giant stack of papers in her small hands.

"Now..." I looked around a moment. That was supposed to take him days...I'm sure he pawned it off to someone else. I doubt that he made friends this quickly...although I wouldn't put it past him. He was annoyingly charming.

I smirked when the next task came to mind.

"I need my trash taken out, then the floor vacuumed, plants watered, and you see the tippy tops of the cabinets?" I pointed to the two pale blue shelves above each side of my head. "They haven't been dusted in ages. Get it done before the meeting iiiiiin—" I checked my watch, "30 minutes."

I turned back to my computer, not giving him a chance to respond. He stood there nearly a minute longer but I didn't look. I just responded to my emails.