Chapter 11 - Wil

I would be more embarrassed at my formal wear, with everyone around me in sweats, but little by little I was getting used to be being embarrassed.

I couldn't speak when Kora came in and brushed past me like I didn't exist. Not only did the way she ignore me remind me of when I fell in love with her, but this casual attire was what I used to see her in all the time. That messy wavy hair pulled up, the oversized hoodie. She looked how she did in college, when I used to visit her during trips and holidays. God, I hated how cozy she looked. We used to snuggle on the couch in that. I wanted to hug her, breathe her in. I wanted to pull her to lay with me and play with her hair.

But she was someone else's now. I lost my chance and that was my problem.

She slammed the door in my face and I was quickly reminded all the reasons I DIDN'T need to want her. Cold witch. Cold, hot witch.

I asked Gen for her favorite coffee place and got here early to put it on her desk. She could hate me all she wanted, but I was going to be a great assistant.

Jon came leaned against my desk. "So what's on the agenda today? Which menial task has she thrown at you now?"

I sighed, rolling in my chair to face him. "I don't know yet. Could be bathroom cleaning for all I know." He laughed then eyed my clothes. "You're definitely dressed for the occasion."

I rolled my eyes before scoffing at him.

"Listen. How about you come to our league tonight and blow off some steam. It's the best way to get to know everyone in the office."

"I suppose that wouldn't be too bad. If they'll let the loser in, I could use some fun." He chuckled and offered a fist to bump. "Don't stress dude. Things will look up soon. I can feel it." "You clearly don't know Kora very well." Like a summon to Bloody Mary, Kora appeared behind me as she flung her door open, startling us. Jon quickly walked off, back to his desk, and I stood up to face her. I tried not to look too annoyed in anticipation. "How may I be of service?" I queried.

She eyed the bullpen before turning away from me and walking back to her desk. "You know what? I don't actually need you today. You can go home."

I followed her. "Excuse me..." "I didn't ask you to come in." She remarked.

I rolled my eyes again. It was too early to be this bitchy.

"Kora, if you maybe just talked to me, then perhaps—" "I am talking. I'm telling you to go home." "Why?"

She pondered.
I nudged again. "Hm?"
She crossed her arms. "Today is just going to be meetings, so unless you want to stay and take notes of every single one, you can thank me and leave."

This was some sort of trap, somehow. I knew it, but she didn't give me any indication of what. "Bye."
She turned to her computer. "No."

Why not—why not this be the moment I actually, maybe stand up for myself — a little. We were a week in and I wasn't getting anywhere. I learned a little about their ancient client system and customer relations, but maybe I could beg my father to let me work at a different company. I doubted it, but I couldn't go two years being dismissed and given useless work to do.

"What did you say?"

"I said no." I crossed my arms to match her and instantly regretted at the scowl on her face. But, I continued. "Let me work. Anything. You can't not use your employees. It's a waste of company money. I doubt your boss would want to hear that at your meeting today."

She stepped closer to me. "You don't know anything about my boss..." "I know you're meeting with him today." She recoiled. Her squinted the way they always did when she was confused, but furious. "How do you know that?" Almost simultaneously we both said. "Gen." She sighed. "I'm sure he'd love to hear how ineffectively you're using your new assistant." She was silent. Silent. She was glaring at me, sure but I had her...I finally got something on her. I had to play this the right way. I wasn't going to sabotage her or her job. I knew how hard she worked. She deserved this. Honestly, I'd love to help her if she just asked me. But she wasn't big of asking for help, even when we were together. That's why I was so useless in the relationship. Because she didn't need me, but I constantly needed her.

"How about a deal?" I proposed, sitting in the chair across from her desk. It irritated her quite clearly, but she didn't stop me. "What deal." She barked.

I pretended to think, rubbing my chin as I crossed my legs. "What say you — if I do my best to make you look super good in front of your boss, to the best of my abilities, and if my attitude it to your satisfaction, then you give me more important things to work on, and you can also talk me up a little to your boss so that I look useful to the company."

She slowly sat in her chair and conveyed a cautious intrigue.

Thinking it over a little more, I began to fear her answer — fear she would still make me leave, and I would listen to her. "Fine." She seethed. "However..." Oh no... "If you make me look bad, or say anything out of pocket whatsoever, you have to leave—find a new job." What was wrong with her? She technically hired me in the first place, did she not? "And if you don't hold up your end, then I get to take you out." She froze at the thought. "to dinner." What the hell am I saying? I swallowed a bit too later. She was already rolling her eyes and dismissing me. "Fine. Whatever. Leave now." I stretched my arm out to shake her, praying my hands weren't too clammy from this entire altercation.

She stared at me and I feared she wouldn't take it. We've already shaken hands. She wasn't nervous was she? My head tilted in consideration, but she quickly stood and shook my hand, her face a stoic beauty, unbothered.

No she was never nervous. I could never make her nervous. But she's killing me. That soft, warm hand gripped me so hard, but I just wanted to intertwine my fingers and hold it there a moment to remember.

I glanced down at her ringed hand and broke the shake. What was wrong with me? She's married...you're betting a dinner with a married woman. I knew she wouldn't fail, but it was still a stupid thing for me to ask. Why does she make so stupid? How am I going to do this....?