Chapter 14 - When they first kissed

Kora 

The first few months of school weren't terrible. Wil was actually not a bad student. He kept to himself somedays — I treasured those days, few and far in between. But other days he'd have a pep in his step and I knew it would be a long day for me. We had 4 classes together. FOUR! and the days he felt extra annoying were hard to manage and focus. I had a couple friends in other classes, but his annoying presence always hovering over me drew people away. Luckily we had a different lunch period. My only saving grace. Though I spent that time catching up on the work he distracted me from. He was definitely an entitled prick, didn't care about anyone else's time and energy than himself.

We've only had one project since school started and it was definitely how I expected it to go. I did most of the work, he practically forgot about it altogether and I came to class with our poster prepared and already set up.

He did present it pretty well though, barely even looked at the board. I was a little surprised but I was the one who did all the work. So I shouldn't give him that much credit.

There was another joint quiz we were supposed to work on, but luckily he didn't ask me anything, and I didn't ask him. Overall, it wasn't as torturous as expected...most days.

Today...was not that kind of day. He was bugging me all morning. He wrote dumb things in my book and kept nudging me after making dirty jokes about little phrases Mr. Salle said. He even went a step further and and grabbed my wrist to 'check my pulse' after Mr. Salle told everyone to check their own pulses from our cardiac rhythm chapter.

After another argument or two of his teasing me and me throwing any sarcastic remark to him that came to my mind, I actually wrote down our next project deadline and details. "Maybe if you shut up and listen, I won't have to update you on every little detail and do it all myself." "Bitter much?" He poked my ribs. I flinched but he continued. "I tried to help, but you kept veto-ing all of our potential meet up times and locations."

I did veto them. "Well I'm not going to apologize for not having 10 pm on a Sunday open." He gave other days, but I was taking care of my grandparents almost full-time outside of school, so I didn't have time for anything that wasn't before 5 pm, when their caregiver for the day left. They refused to get one for the night, resulting in me taking over, unintentionally. He didn't need to know that.

"Whatever K—" His new nickname for me was the worst I'd heard yet. It sounded like some weird ended to a phrase. Like saying 'kay? Without the question. "If you don't accept my help, don't blame me." "You two..." Mr. Salle's voice raised.

We jerked up. "Chatty?" He crossed his arms. "Again?" The awkward pause drew too much attention to us. "Sorry." We both quieted. He sighed like he always did when he reprimanded us. And I scooted away from Wil. He still winked at me, earning him an eye roll.

He stalked me to my locker. "Are you going to do this project all yourself too or actually let me help this time?" His hands comfortable sat in his pockets with his non-school approved rolled up sleeves.

I rolled my eyes and ignored him. He was about to walk away when some commotion at the end of the hall stopped him in his tracks. He quickly turned back to me. "Don't hate me. But. Please...do me a favor." His shaky voice actually startled me. He was always so calm or sarcastic. Even when he played basketball — at the few games I went for yearbook purposes — he was smiley, jokey, relaxed. Was he joking?

"What?" My alarmed voice somewhat matched his.

"Kiss me..." "What!" I waited for the punch line. "NO. You perv, get away from me." He jerked his head back behind him then to snapped it back to me. "Please. I'll give you anything. Money, my backpack—That's—" he looked quickly again at a couple of girls halfway down the hall.