Chapter 16 - Wil

Kora was back in her tailored business attire. An appropriate, yet tight pencil skirt that sat a few inches above her knees, a slightly V-necked silk shirt, and a slightly looser fuscia blazer that wouldn't look good on anyone but her. Oh, and heels. Stunning, nude heels that elongated her legs even more and making her just my height. She never wore heels when we were together. She loathed them. I wondered if that was the sole reason I didn't recognize her when I first saw her.

She clicked past me and ignored the smirk I gave her. A coffee was still waiting for her, plus a little note with an aspirin that read, "In case your hangover carried over." I would pay anything to watch her reaction, but I let her have her moment. I listened carefully and swore I heard the gentle 'ting' of a scrunched up paper hitting an empty, metal waste bin.

I chuckled. I loved that I could still rile her up a bit. It felt like high school again, when I first fell in love with her. The dynamic was back, but I didn't want to push it completely. Everything was different now. She was single. She was single, and we worked in the same office. Maybe it was insane for me to be thinking this. I couldn't prey on a widow. Not a recent widow. Though I still wasn't sure how recent. It must have been somewhat recent if she still wore the ring. I wasn't sure how legit Trina's story was but...I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Kora quickly snapped me out of my trance when a pile of papers sat on my desk. Followed by two more stacks that, combined, could have weighed more than my bike.

A smirk later she also informed me that I would have to go pick up lunch...for the whole office...

I drive a motorcycle, I wasn't sure how I would, but that was next on the agenda to the list of things that would take anyone three days to accomplish, but she expected to have done before lunch.

Glad to know nothing's changed, but I'll pick my moment to fight her on it later.

Before I prepared to leave for lunch, she angrily asked me why I hadn't left yet. She stormed away from me and I began to look up the location of the place she told me to go to when the main door opened and a little girl ran in. She was a toddler with two dark piggytails sticking out the top of her head like antennas. She hopped over and looked at Kora.

Wait—

Kora fell to her knees and spread her arms open. "Hi baby!" She squealed. The office all watched the little reunion. I was frozen in place.

My jaw was so far past the floor. The smallest gust of win could have knocked me over.

Baby? A—baby! Kora had a baby? No—no it couldn't be. I didn't see any sign of a child when I was at her house. I wasn't looking but...But... I grasped my chest at the thought of Kora as a mother. Cold witch she often was, but I always knew she'd make an amazing mother. I wanted to do that for her one day... but...

but someone else got to do that for her...

My heart broke in ways I didn't think possible. It shouldn't have. I should be happy for her. She was always protective, loving, confident, smart, and talented. Even before we dated, I always found her strength unnerving, but perfect for her. When we started having the 'kids' conversation, we quickly bonded on the idea that we wanted as many children as possible. It was just a dream then — a dream of two lonely kids. I had a sister, but she was younger. Kora was an only child, though you'd never guess. She got along with everyone. She was usually alone, but she could befriend anyone if she would just drop that wall and try a bit. A little bit and anyone could fall in love with Kora. Many did. Including her late husband.

A daughter. She'd be an amazing mother to a daughter.

I wanted to cry. I really hoped she was living her dream. I hated her at times the past few years, but she deserved to be happy. God she looked so happy right now, I could watch it for hours, but from afar, so I could cry.

She lifted the beautiful child with dark hair just like hers. They spun as she squeezed her and began kissing her cheek so aggressively I was honestly a little jealous. She bounced the child until she laughed and giggled. "Who's your favorite auntie?" She sang over and over until the words finally hit me and I took a breath, thankfully, I would have passed out had I waited any longer.

She walked towards me. Her face hardened when she walked by me then she started singing and humming to the child.

Jon invited me to league tonight and I actually had my gym bag under my desk from the last time he asked.

We played basketball until Kora arrived. She was stunned at my appearance and I was stunned at hers. She glared at me and sat on the bleachers, avoiding to play. She claimed that she just wanted to stop by the gym. The court was attached to a gym. I thought she was waiting for me to leave so she could play with her coworkers, but this was my field. This was my game and she couldn't taunt me with firing me anymore, so here I was. This was my court.

After about half an hour she left. She talked to most of the people on the bleachers in her stunning Lulu shorts and hoodie. I tried not to look too much. I was able to keep my focus back in high school, but that was because the promise of her kiss at the end of the game. Somehow it infuriated me more when she left and Jon and I easily beat the other team by 30 points, though halfway through they claimed we weren't keeping track.