Chapter 17 - Kora

Trina badgered me on and on and on about finding a date for her to her hospitals gala. I loved meeting all the cute doctors and nurses, but they were quite pretentious, so after the first unsuccessful gala, we decided to find dates for each other every year. Honestly, I would have set her and Jeremy up—I always thought they'd make a cute couple though he was a little older for her, and had a child. Trina would make a good mom...someday.

She told me she hasn't had time to find someone for me since her hours, but could ask one of the nurse. However I didn't care for the nurses on her floor. I'd met them all and they're all very one-night-stand-y, which I don't care about, it just wasn't me. I asked Gen if she knew anyone and I had to avoid cringing when she recommended Jon for Trina. I was regretting that conversation when I lost our bet. I was definitely going to lose our bet...which sucked.

I'd get that table soon enough...I hope.

I told Trina not to worry about it and that I would find someone, probably. She kept pestering me to ask Wil and quickly dropped it when I told her I'd rather go with the oldest and fattest single doctor she could find than go with Wil.

Between that and Jeremies visit I had my hands full and wasn't able to plan anymore torturous reservations for Wil. That sucked. However he was busy with his presentation which I needed to go well, so I let him. The day Jeremy visited, he gave him quiet the stare down which put that coward in his place. I didn't mind that. I hated him during basketball. I guess I was done going there. I couldn't watch. It was way too high school and I didn't need those memories. Anything but high school...

Jeremy wanted to have private dinner with me, but I didn't have time. Luckily he said he'd be at grandpa's next week and we could meet there. It was a few hours drive for me and a couple hour flight for him so we often met at his nursing facility. I missed taking care of him, but he was adamant on this after grandma passed.

I had to drive to work the next morning instead of take the bus, which I hated, but I had to pick up my dry cleaning for the gala. I was just going to wear the bedazzled ___XXXX dress I wore last year. I doubt anyone would notice, but I didn't have the time to shop. I wasn't going to have Wil pick that up so I had to grab it myself. The gala was on Saturday and I had 3 days to find a date.

I would get drive thru coffee, but Wil was surprisingly on top of my coffee order. At least he did that right. However when I pulled up to the light a block away from the office, Wil's bike sat in front of me. I hadn't tortured him in a while so I took the chance. The second the light turned green I laid on the horn and extended it until Wil turned around. He didn't move. I honked again when police lights shone and whooped behind me.

The biker took off his helmet to reveal...not. Wil.

I frantically apologized through the windshield and winced when the knock on my window came. I rolled it down and quickly spat out apologies. "I'm so so sorry. I thought it was someone else—My ex— I was just going to quickly honk to startle him — it did turn green though so I'm not totally in the wrong." "Ma'am?" The young officer began, but I quickly ranted on. "Okay! Okay it wasn't the best choice, but I swear if I knew if wasn't him I never would have honked, I swear!" The man leaned on my window. A smirk flashed on his face, through his glasses. I bit my lip and gripped my wheel until he asked for license and registration. A few questions later I explained I worked down the block and was just joking. He took off his glasses to reveal stunning light brown eyes under his suave, brown hair. I actually lost my breath for a moment...

He was so tall and lean and...handsome.

"What was your name again?" I asked him. He handed me my license. "Officer Thames. Joseph Thames." I blushed. He was the first cute guy I saw today and as far as I knew I wasn't getting a ticket—based off of his handsome grin and gentle tone. "Do you work weekend Officer Thames?" I tried to act confidently, ignoring the turning in my gut.

He folded his arms and looked in my eyes. "I don't work this weekend, Kora Brown."

I smirked. Right, my license. "Would you think of me too forward to ask you to accompany me to a gala this weekend. Not because I'm desperate, or do this often, because I don't, but because I have absolutely no one else to go with and I told myself the first cute guy I saw I'd ask him." I winced a little at my proclamation.

He seemed to enjoy my nervous attitude.

"Not forward at all, but quite a jump for a big date." Right. Gala. Maybe I should have just asked Jon.

"Would you think me too forward if I asked if you were free for lunch today?" He inquired, biting on the inside of his cheek. I smiled and sat up straight. "Not at all." I smiled at him. "Are you going to pick me up in the cop car?" I beamed.

He chuckled before answering. "Sadly I have to turn it in before my shift is done. Maybe for our third date." He winked. My eyes widened at his forwardness, but he was so cute I really didn't care. I never flirt with strangers but if it was always this easy I would've done so sooner.

"Come to my office and just give the secretary my name."

He winked. "See you soon Kora Brown."

"See you soon Joseph Thames."

It was the cutest encounter I'd had all week and definitely cheered me up for the day. I couldn't wait for lunch.