Chapter 22 - Kora

After de-puffing my eyes in the morning, I mentally chanted the plan Trina and I spent all night making. We decided—at least I think we did—that I would act like it didn't phase me. I would act like I wanted something physical and that was it. Because that was what I wanted—I shouldn't need to pretend. Right?

I was a boss. I was a professional and I couldn't be embarrassed. Not by something like this. I wouldn't think about it—or him. I wouldn't think about any of it. I was going to treat Wil how I always did. Nothing changed. People who worked together often hook up and act like nothing happened. Yes, we had a history, but because we did I knew he wouldn't say anything to anyone. It was a stupid moment. A stupid—incredible moment that I kept replaying over and over in my mind. All last night I thought about it. Then again in the shower where I couldn't help but touch myself as I thought about his gripping hands, his firm lips, and his tongue—oh that tongue—

I shook the thought away before I was late to work. I strongly considered not going into work and spend the day screening calls, but that would give Wil the upper hand.

I had to refocus. I needed to keep the upper hand not let anybody hold the power over me, especially Wil. I wasn't going to melt into his arms because he pleased me better than I ever had been in my entire life. No. I wouldn't let a few minutes of euphoria change the course of my life for (potentially) the worse.

I sat in my car a few minutes, breathing through the emotions that wanted to resurface at the thought of seeing Wil again. I pushed through it and reentered myself.

I stood by Gen's desk for a minutes, asking her how her day was. Her attitude and happy-go-lucky-this-early-in-the-morning attitude was just what a needed.

I slowly entered the door and stared at the ground, offering a few friendly waves to those who offered a hello from the bullpen.

I walked by his desk and didn't see him in my peripheral. Taking the chance, I looked up at the empty desk and almost stopped in my tracks. Did he not show up to work? Was he that much of a coward? Or was he so...hurt that he couldn't show up?

I shook away the thought. Who cares? Not me...

I stepped into my office and nearly tripped at the sight of him sitting in one of the clear plastic chairs in front of my desk. There was a paper bag on my desk. He turned to me and stood up before shakily handing me an iced coffee. He offered a nervous smile and I didn't know what to do. I grabbed it and thanked him weakly.

He nodded and slipped his hand into his loose kaki pants. I looked down at his rolled up sleeves and had to swallow when I peeked at his—

"How did you sleep?" He asked. I hoped he didn't notice my nervous shift. He shouldn't have been asking me that. I didn't need that from him. It was somehow more irritating than if he had just ignored or resented me.

"Fine. Get to work please."

I sat down at my desk avoiding his overpowering presence. Despite my best effort, he took up so much space in the room. It softened a part of me and flamed another.

I swallowed again when I noticed he hand't moved. I clenched my fist on the desk. "What?" I spat at him.

He looked at me a moment before reaching over and closing the door. I got a great view of his broad slender shoulders and his perky butt.

What is wrong with you? Get it together.

I grit my teeth as he slowly sat down again and leaned forward on his forearms. "Kora...I still think we should talk."

I stared at his eyes a moment. It was a similar angle to the one he was in last night— looking up through those long lashes. Flashes of the moment sparked in my mind. The way his head moved—when his eyes looked up to me—the way he licked his lips.

I clenched my thighs together and did my best to keep my cheeks from heating, if that was even possible.

"No. Wil. We have nothing to discuss unless you need to talk about your presentation." I glared at him, praying my heavy breaths weren't evident.

"Kora..."

"What!" I said a little too loudly. My plan wasn't going very well I clearly wasn't handling this. I thought I was better than this but I felt like such a mess.

"We will talk about this—us. Someday soon. You can delay it all you want but I am going to keep coming back to you until you agree."

His voice was way too calm for my liking. He sounded so mature and sure of himself. He didn't sound arrogant and uptight. His low rumble actually soothed me a little. Very little.

"Wil. I told you, there's nothing to discuss, and if you think there is then I'm sorry I didn't make my intentions clear last night, but that's over with. This is all over with and there's nothing left to discuss on the matter." I waved him off and returned to my computer, clicking aggressively to open my email.

"Alright." He spoke softly as he stood up. "I'll give you some more time." He stretched out his hand before checking the time. "Are you free for lunch?" "No." I spoke too quickly.

"Well, I'll catch you after work then." He offered a smile that was way too comfortable to my liking. What was his game? Was his plan to act like he had something over me? Was he going to use this to blackmail me somehow?

"Wait—" I cleared my throat to not sound so eager. I shouldn't be asking what I wanted to — I didn't think I needed to.

"Are you...going to say anything..." I hated how pathetic I sounded. His soft smile returned. "No Kora. I would never say anything. I would never do anything like that to you."

He stared at me with such determination. I hadn't seen that look in his eyes since high school.

He winked at me and walked out. What. The. Hell. Who was this guy?