Chapter 7 - Kora

Kora

I woke up brighter as the sunshine. The night was great. Nothing could beat the satisfaction of the look on his face when he looked at me after I paid for his bill. If I could have captured that look in a photo, it would be framed by now and plastered in my office.

I still made my weekly trip to the cafe to grab a drink. I didn't want to ask him to get me coffee, despite how much time it would save me. Though he probably wouldn't steep so low to do something to my coffee, I'd rather live with the peace of mind to watch my drink be made, untouched. A great rule of thumb in all aspects of life.

A sweet smell emitted from the office room when I got off the elevator. My eyes look for Gen, but she wasn't her seat.

Chatter flowed from the closed doors and I followed the sound and smell. Everyone was huddled around Wilson's desk. I approached slowly to Gen, near the back and listened as Wilson's voice rang through everyone else's.

"I brought enough for everyone, but this is the only gluten free box. The coffee isn't decaf, but I doubt any of you would desire such a thing at 8 am." Giggles scattered throughout the crowd.

"Don't be shy! Go ahead and take what you'd like." Gen spun towards me when I tapped her shoulder.

"Good morning! Wil brought doughnuts!"

Wil? "Doughnuts?"

"And coffee." Jonathan smiled from beside her.

"Oh. That's nice." I tried to smile but quickly stepped out of the crowd and walked to my office.

I ignored Wilson as he looked at me and shut my door, tinting the windows.

Bastard. Already trying to win everyone's favor. But he won't last long. Doughnuts would only get him so far. Although, to his credit, the impact would last quite a bit. He even got them from the good place.

I want one...

But I don't need to any more satisfaction.

"Wilson get in here."

The chatter was too loud, I had to go to the door and open my door.

"Wilson—" I asked, offering a fake smile.

"In my office."

He followed.

"Did you get those copies I asked you to get?"

He smugly stuck his chin up and smiled back at me, just as fakely. "Yes I did."

I hummed.

"And did you get the supplies from the supply room we need restocked?"

"Yes and I had Gen show me all your preferences." I cleared my throat. "Did you figure how to dust—" I began pointing to the top of the cabinet. "I found the ladder and got it all cleaned before I got the donuts for the office."

I crossed my arms. "Good." Crap that was supposed to last him a couple hours, not one. "Then I will send you the agenda for the day, we have another meeting with —" He cut me off. "With the new client we signed on? Yes. Gen informed me. I also asked IT to transfer all the contact information and programs onto my computer."

His smirk only grew in the level of smugness.

"Hm. Good. Great."

"Great." He mimicked. He smiled at me a moment. "And I saved you a cronut. I wasn't sure if they were still your favorite, but Gen assured me it was."

I sighed. My nostrils flared but I forced the smile to grow.

"Thanks. But I'm not hungry. Make sure you vacuum up any crumbs left throughout the office."

"Will do. Is there anything else you'd like for me to work on right now or should I continue my training?"

"Training?"

"Yes! I made a schedule with all the departments so I could be trained in each department today."

I clenched back the temptation to roll my eyes.

"Perfect." I squinted at him. "I'm glad you learned how to take initiative."

The muscle in his jaw twitched slightly as I smirked, knowing I struck a nerve.

"You may go." I turned back to my screen and ignored him.

He waited a moment before stomping out of the office.

I'll take that as a win.

Several minutes later Jonathan came in with what I assumed was a doughnut wrapped in a napkin. He shut the door, triggering the tint.

I avoid his eyes. "What."

"Is someone being a little to petty to get herself a doughnut?"

I rolled my eyes at him.

"No... I'm busy."

He smirked. "No? Then should I take this back?"

My eyes pleaded a no to him and he laughed. It relaxed me. He had a deep laugh that was quite contagious.

He placed it on my desk and I quickly unwrapped it, eying the door to make sure no one was trying to come in.

His hands sat on his hips. "Why did you hire him?"

I rolled me eyes. "Leave it alone."

His smirk remained. "Why you being mean to the guy?"

"Excuse me? Were we not college friends for years? Did you ignore all the times I cried over that loser?" I bit into another bite.

"Kora..." He eyed me sincerely, but I kept my gaze on my doughnut. "You said you were over it. You'd moved on. You've been married since then."

I scoffed. "Yeah and I really hoped I'd never see him again."

"Then why did you hire him?" "He won't last, don't worry."

"I don't know, he seems to be adapting well..."

"Bite me."

He laughed again.

"What are you gonna do if he ends up sticking it out. Can you handle him as a full time employee?"

"Trust me Jon. He won't last. I know that man better than anyone, trust me when I tell you he'll last two weeks tops." "Really?" Jon teased. "Care to make it interesting?"

I squinted at him as I wiped the crumbs from my lips.

"What do you have in mind?"

I stood to meet his gaze.

He rubbed his chin.

"50 bucks if he lasts past next week?" He extended a hand. I scoffed. "That's nothing. You have to make it more interesting than that."

"How about..." I began. "If he quits at two weeks or before, I get that antique carved coffee table your grandmas estate.

He gasped. "My mother would kill me!"

I shrugged. "What can I say, when it's gonna be a sure thing?" He smirked. "Fine...but if I win..."

He thought. "You have to try to convince Gen to go on a date with me."

My eyes shot open. "I can't do that! I can't force her to do something like that." "Oh please. She's obsessed with you. Even if you imply going out with me she'd probably do it."

I scoffed. "Just once though, I can't force her to date you."

"Just one date." His sneaky eyebrow rose.

I pondered. It's fine. I won't lose.

"Deal." We shook hands.

He pumped his fist before going out the door.

I walked him to the door and watched Jon walk out.

He walked over to Wil and patted him on the back. "Thanks brother. Keep up the good work." Then he turned once more to me and smiled.

I threw him a sarcastic sneer, giggling as he walked off.

My eyes glanced at Wil's and my whole face hardened at him before I turned back and slammed my door shut to resume eating the doughnut which he hopefully didn't know I had.