Chapter One

Amber Williams could hardly contain her excitement. She was about to turn twenty-one, and her boyfriend and idol, Jonas James, had planned a special surprise for her. What it was, he didn't say, but Amber knew it would be special.

Jonas had been spending more and more time alone recently, and although Amber knew it was to work on her surprise, she felt she missed him terribly. Every moment without him felt like a lifetime.

Amber and Jonas had been sharing their home for about a year, and Amber felt it couldn't get any better. Of course, she called her mother every day, as she promised she would.

Amber didn't want to admit that dating a celebrity was all showbiz parties and glitzy premieres, but in reality, that's all her life had been over the past year. She was sort of getting used to it by now. Even though she had been doing those things before she was with Jonas. She still couldn't believe Jonas James was her boyfriend. She still had to pinch herself now and again, to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

Jonas came into the room and broke Amber's train of thought. He snaked his arms around her waist and kissed her softly.

"Been busy?" asked Amber.

"Very," said Jonas. "But I can't tell you what I've been doing yet.

"I'm so excited," gushed Amber.

"So you should be," said Jonas. He took her hand in his and massaged it softly. "I love you," he said.

Amber's heart skipped a beat. This hadn't been the first time Jonas had said 'I love you', but every time he did, it caught her off guard.

"I love you more," said Amber, and in her mind, it was true. No one could love anyone as much as she loved Jonas.

Jonas smiled and shook his head. "That's what you think."

Amber giggled.

"Now, I must get back to my organizing," said Jonas.

"You're leaving me again?" Amber pouted.

"Yes, but only for a little while. I'll be back before you know it." He kissed her again, and left the room.

Amber couldn't help but smile.

***

It was the morning of Amber's twenty first birthday. Jonas woke her up by coming into the room and singing 'Happy Birthday' to her.

"You know I love when you sing, even just 'Happy Birthday'," Amber half-joked.

Jonas kissed her softly. "That's why you've got my album on repeat on your Spotify."

Amber blushed. "How do you know about that?"

"You left your phone on the sofa the other day, and I had a peek."

"You've been going through my phone?" Amber's face fell.

"Not your messages or anything," said Jonas. "I'm not like that."

"It's only Daisy and my Mom that I text anyway. No one juicy."

"Juicy?" asked Jonas.

"You know what I mean," said Amber.

"I'll leave you to chill for a while and get ready. We're going out today, and tonight."

"Today and tonight?" asked Amber.

Jonas nodded. "I have a full day of surprises planned for you."

"Awww, you're so sweet," said Amber.

"Now hurry up and get ready," said Jonas.

"I thought you were leaving me to chill for a while?"

Jonas paused for a moment. "Yes..." he said slowly. "But I want us to get out there as soon as possible."

"Go, then," said Amber, and Jonas left.

"Close the door!" Amber yelled, laughing. Jonas laughed back, and did as he was told.

***

The first surprise turned out to be taking Amber out for breakfast at a fancy restaurant. It looked expensive, Amber thought to herself, but she was pretty sure Jonas could afford it.

While sitting at the table enjoying their breakfast, Jonas took out his credit card and handed it to Amber.

"What's this for?" asked Amber.

"I want you to get yourself something nice to wear for tonight," said Jonas.

"Why? What's happening tonight?"

Jonas tapped his nose. "Can't say. But you're gonna love it."

Amber smiled, and tucked into her breakfast.

Suddenly Jonas got a call on his phone. He picked it up on the third ring. "Hello?" He moved away from the table so Amber couldn't hear him.

Amber tried to pick out what Jonas was saying, but she couldn't. She also knew that whatever the surprise was, she would have to wait and see.

Jonas was almost finished talking on the phone. He came back to the table. Amber heard him say, "Okay, bye," and then he hung up.

"Who was that?" asked Amber.

"No-one," said Jonas, looking around the room as if to check if anyone was listening. "You've got my card, right?"

Amber nodded.

"Well then, you'd better get spending!"