Chapter Four

It had been a few weeks since the virtual event, and Jonas and Amber had another glitzy premiere to go to. This time it was for the latest animated adventure, something Amber was really looking forward to seeing.

Again, as they stepped out of the limo, they were pounced on by paps. The flashing lights blinded both Amber and Jonas.

"Are you ready?" Jonas said

"I guess so," Amber replied and they walked in hand in hand, ready for whatever was expected.

All throughout the movie, Amber couldn't help but think that Jonas was more than a little bored. She understood; he'd been famous nearly all of his life, at least, that's what she assumed.

As the movie ended, they both stood up and clapped, but the look in Jonas' eyes was that of boredom, and, well, exhaustion. At least, that's what it seemed like to Amber.

Jonas didn't say much throughout the limo ride home. When they eventually got home, Amber could see that he was more than a little irritated.

Amber put her hand on Jonas' shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"Do you ever get tired of all this?"

"All of what?"

"This whole celebrity thing."

Amber didn't know what to say. She was only just getting used to the whole 'celebrity' thing, if she were honest. "Do you, then?"

"Honestly, Amber, yes I do."

"How long have you been famous, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Almost all my life. I started when I was very young, going on talent shows and stuff."

"Did your parents pressure you into it?"

"A little, but mostly I wanted to do it."

"And now you regret it?"

Jonas sighed. "I don't regret it, Amber, I just feel a little, well, tired. Plus I've done everything there is to do."

"What are you saying, Jonas?"

"I'm saying, Amber," Jonas left a pause for dramatic effect, "that I'm going to retire."

Amber felt her stomach drop. "Y-you can't retire, your fans need you! And besides, you're only young!"

"I don't feel young, Amber. I need time to rest and recuperate."

"B-but what about your fans?"

"Like I said, I've done all there is to do. Movies, albums, TV shows, the lot. And my fans? They'll find someone else."

"There will never be another Jonas James, trust me," Amber protested.

"Amber, I appreciate your kind words, but I need to do this for myself."

"I understand." She didn't really, but she didn't want to cause an argument. She took his hands in hers and kissed him, then made her way to the bedroom. She needed to think.

***

Jonas came into the bedroom. Amber seemed to be crying.

"What's the matter?" asked Jonas.

"You know what's the matter," sobbed Amber. She tried to explain further, but her words came out in a blubbering mess.

Jonas took Amber in his arms. "You don't need to worry about me," he said.

"You said you wanted to carry on entertaining people, remember? That night when we were in the hotel room?"

Jonas vaguely recalled the conversation. "But like I said, Amber, there's not much else for me to do."

"You could carry on doing tours, music, movies, anything."

"Oh, Amber." Jonas tightened his grip on her. "You've got to understand how I feel."

"I do, kind of. I guess I'm just mourning your career."

"So am I, kind of."

"So why are you retiring then?"

"Because, Amber, I'm exhausted. I don't think you understand how much."

"I guess I don't," said Amber.

"I still want to be with you. Nothing will ever change that."

"You still don't want kids?"

"Not really," Jonas said after a pause.

Amber laughed sadly. "So when are you planning to tell the press?"

"Tomorrow," said Jonas.

Amber tightened her grip on Jonas slightly. "I'll support you, no matter what you do."

"Thank you," said Jonas.