01

The stark difference between the gymnasium and the remaining corridors of the youth center manifested prominently. The lively atmosphere within the expansive walls sharply contradicted the absolute silence and lifelessness pervading the adjacent hallways, engulfed in an inhospitable chill.

Yoon Min-ji leisurely explored the various activities her classmates were engaging in, each of them enjoy their time differently yet all sharing a common sentiment of joy and contentment. Some, however, seemed to enjoy spoiling the fun.

Her attention fixated upon Go Kyung-jun, gleefully manipulating the speaker volume, disrupting the dance practice of her classmates—typical of him, relishing in taunting his classmates..

particularly two of them.

Choi Joo-Won and Jin Da-beom.

Min-ji's unwavering gaze remained fixed upon the duo, seated in close proximity. Da-beom, donning his headphones and casting his glance toward the ground, carried a demeanor that consistently captured her attention.

"What are you looking at?" The sudden question startled Min-ji, as if confronted by an unexpected presence. Her eyes widened, drawn toward the speaker of these words—Kim So-mi, appearing bemused with hands clasped behind her back.

"Nothing. I was just thinking," Min-ji responded, the nervous look painted on her features betraying her words.

So-mi's laughter rippled in reply, her lips gracefully curving into a knowing smile. She accepted Min-ji's explanation without insistence.

"Well, don't stand here all alone; you look like a loner. Let's go." So-mi proposed, gesturing toward a specific direction, already in motion and anticipating Min-ji's company.

She swiftly casted a final glance in Da-beom's direction before hastily trailing behind So-mi. Meanwhile, a distance away, a camera zoomed out of Min-ji, then shifted its focus to Da-beom. Park Woo-ram stood there with a camera in hand and a knowledgeable grin displayed, reveling in capturing such a moment before he continued to film the rest of the students.

Min-ji positioned herself alongside Ahn Na-hee, a slight distance from the focal point where So-mi and Jun-hee were, seemingly deep in conversation.

"Why isn't there any Wi-Fi here?" Min-ji grumbled, frustration evident as none of the apps on her phone cooperated. With an exasperated sigh, she tossed her head back and placed her phone on the table, redirecting her attention elsewhere, "Ever think she'll actually express her feelings to him?" She inquired, closely observing the interaction between Jun-hee and So-mi.

Na-hee, uncertain of a response, shrugged and admitted, "I don't think so."

In agreement, Min-ji nodded thoughtfully before redirecting her attention to Na-hee. "And what about you? Surely, there's someone on your mind as well," she asked, a playful grin adorning her lips.

Na-hee averted her gaze, shaking her head, and replied, "No, not really."

Min-ji nudged her shoulder playfully, chuckling. "Sure you don't," she teased. "I'm just saying, you could make the most of this school trip."

Na-hee remained silent, clearly eager to move past the conversation. Fortunately, their exchange was interrupted when the homeroom teacher entered the gym hall, instantly capturing everyone's attention.

He made an announcement about leaving due to issues with another class, assuring a prompt return. Min-ji attentively observed as he conferred with Jun-hee, the class president, and So-mi, the class vice president, before his departure. To her left, Na-hee mirrored her intrigue in the unfolding situation. The teacher soon left, So-mi and Jun-hee joined Na-hee and Min-ji near one of the tables.

With activities resuming, the once-blaring music ceased as the girls, exhausted from dance practice, settled down, filling the room with lively chatter.

Observing from a corner, Min-ji noticed some students, including Go Kyung-jun and his companions, departing the gymnasium, followed by Joo-won and Da-beom.

"I'm tired." She complained, catching her friends' attention, "Why don't we wait upstairs until the teacher returns?" she then suggested.

So-mi, unconvinced, shook her head. "No, we should wait here."

Jun-hee, interjecting with a calm demeanor, supported Min-ji's proposal. "Min-ji is right. It was a long journey, and it's best to rest a bit. As long as we remain in uniform for the picture, I'll inform everyone once the teacher returns," he assured.

Min-ji, noting So-mi's surprise at Jun-hee's agreement, couldn't help but smile slightly with satisfaction. Turning to Na-hee, she took her arm, saying, "Let's go," as they started walking out.

As the four of them entered the lobby, Min-ji found her gaze irresistibly drawn to the white statue of a woman positioned in the center—her demeanor contemplative, eyes downcast, exuding a palpable air of sorrow. Their surroundings were filled with silence, punctuated only by the echo of their footsteps.

About to ascend the large stairs leading
up to the dormitories, Min-ji abruptly halted, a realization dawning on her. "Shit," she muttered, checking her skirt's pockets. "I think I left my phone back there on the table."

Her friends turned their attention to her, and Jun-hee, descending three steps, offered, "I'll go get it for you."

"No, it's fine. I can do it myself," Min-ji swiftly declined, expressing gratitude for his offer but insisting on handling it independently.

So-mi, with clear annoyance in her tone, chimed in, "Right, she can go get it herself. We'll be upstairs." She motioned for Na-hee and Jun-hee to follow and said, "Come on."

Undeterred, Jun-hee asserted, "I'll go with her," determination evident in his expression. "Let's go," he added, walking back, expecting Min-ji to follow.

Min-ji caught sight of So-mi's disbelieving expression, accompanied by an exaggerated sigh, before swiftly catching up with Jun-hee.

They were strolling back toward the gymnasium when they passed a slightly ajar door. Jun-hee came to a sudden stop, his eyes catching sight of something while his ears picked up laughter emanating from within.

Min-ji, puzzled by his sudden stop, also stopped waking. "What's wrong?" she asked.

Jun-hee widened the door, revealing a basketball court. "Are you kidding me?" he muttered in annoyance, stepping inside.