05

In the bustling corridors of the school, Min-ji stood motionless, her gaze fixed ahead, hands resting by her sides. Amidst the flow of students, she remained unaffected, seemingly frozen.

Unnoticed by those around her, Min-ji's eyes scanned the passing students until someone on the opposite end of the corridor stopped, locking eyes with her. A slight widening of her eyes and accelerated breathing revealed her momentary paralysis, unable to break free.

Approaching her, Da-beom stood directly in front, and in that moment, time seemed suspended.

"Wake up," he uttered, and Min-ji's eyes snapped open. A deep inhale followed, as if she had momentarily ceased breathing. Slowly pushing herself up from the cold ground, she became conscious of her surroundings, a distant bell ringing in the background. Her classmates, once in slumber, were gradually awakening.

As Min-ji surveyed the scene, confusion gripped her, and the events of the previous night started to seep back into her consciousness like a disturbing dream turned reality.

"What happened?" Na-hee inquired, stretching as she too roused from sleep. Min-ji shook her head, grappling with the increasing pace of her heartbeat. "I don't know."

"Yool.. what happened with Yool?" Eun-ha suddenly exclaimed in panic, still seemingly in shock.

Min-ji drew in another deep breath, her mind vividly recalling the events of the previous night. She looked behind her, still seated on the ground with her hands supporting her, facing the shattered glass window.

Turning back to the students, her eyes caught Da-beom, who had his back against the wall beside her. Slowly pushing herself to her feet, she struggled as her feet seemed uncooperative – whether due to fear or the discomfort of sleeping on the floor, she couldn't be certain. Those around her observed closely as she approached the window's edge.

"Min-ji..." Na-hee called after her friend, concern evident.

Min-ji gulped down the lump in her throat as she stopped at the window's edge. A strong gust of wind hit her face, causing her disheveled hair to sway before she gathered the courage to look down. Her heart momentarily stopped as her eyes took in the horrifying scene below – her deceased classmate, covered in his own blood, surrounded by a pool of crimson. She took a small step back.

Da-beom, realizing her fear of heights, observed closely. As he saw her reaction, he swiftly moved, throwing his body over to catch her just in time.

Min-ji's body went limp, shutting down as she lost consciousness.

"Min-ji!" Na-hee exclaimed in horror, rushing over to her friend.

Da-beom looked at Na-hee in surprise, "She's okay; she just lost consciousness," he quickly reassured her.

Everyone visibly relaxed, clearly unable to bear witnessing another death, especially so soon after the gruesome event they had experienced.

The hallways suddenly filled with constant phone notification sounds as everyone's phones rang consecutively. The loud siren echoed through the speakers, accompanied by the voice everyone had heard the previous night during the unsettling turn of events.

"Before the end of the last voting, the police officer used their power."

The words resonated through both the speakers and their screens. Everyone took out their phones, wearing expressions of both confusion and fear.

Da-beom retrieved his own phone but made sure to keep a hand over Min-ji's head for support as the rest of her body lay on his lap.

"Choi Joo-won was executed by the mafia."

His eyebrows raised at the mention of Joo-won's name.

"Choi Joo-won is the mafia."

The siren sounded once more for a final announcement.

"Participants, please find the mafia and start voting."

A new surge of emotions swept through the once-silent hallways as students divided their efforts—some racing to uncover the identity behind the announcement, while others anxiously sought Joo-won's whereabouts.

As the group split into two, So-mi joined the quest to find Joo-won's body. Before leaving the hallway, she paused, addressing Na-hee, "Look after her. I'll be right back, hmm?" She spoke with a lack of genuine concern, then disappeared, following the others.

Na-hee sighed, her gaze returning to Min-ji's unconscious body. It was evident that So-mi's concern for her proclaimed "best friend" was minimal, if not nonexistent.

"You should probably join everyone else. I'll take her back to our room," Na-hee suggested to Da-beom, who agreed with a single nod.

——

Though Min-ji outwardly appeared peaceful, lying on the bed with her hands clasped and a relaxed demeanor, internally, she was grappling with a tumultuous reality. Despite the facade of relaxation, she resembled a beautiful statue fighting to break free. While her body seemed at ease, her mind was ensnared in a harrowing loop of vivid and bloody scenarios, each time culminating in her demise.

Her heavy eyelids fluttered open, revealing a mind that had stirred before her body. Glancing around, she slowly pushed herself upright. A familiar voice broke through her mental maze.

"Min-ji." The call reached her ears, prompting her to turn towards Ji-soo and Yu-jun, who sat on the ground, their hands intertwined. Ji-soo withdrew her hand and approached Min-ji, concern etched across her face. "How are you feeling? Are you okay?" she inquired, placing a comforting hand on Min-ji's shoulder.

Min-ji offered a slow nod, settling onto the bed. "I'm okay."

"You've been out for so long, we were worried sick," Ji-soo expressed, her genuine concern evident in both words and expression, followed by a relieved sigh.

Min-ji's eyebrows furrowed, and she questioned, "For how long?" Her gaze shifted between her two friends.

"A few hours," Yu-jun responded, adjusting his sitting position. "But it felt like way longer after everything that had happened," he added, his tone lowering, his gaze avoiding theirs as if grappling with memories he'd rather forget.

Min-ji's attention was fully captivated by his words. She tilted her head slightly, hesitant to ask the question that lingered on the edge of her thoughts, fearing what the answer might unveil. After a moment of internal deliberation, she finally voiced it, "What happened?"