12

"We ended things a long time ago," Min-ji finally articulated, attempting to dispel the shock that enveloped her. Her gaze shifted to the side, embodying a distant detachment. "Neither of us still has feelings for the other; we barely had any while we were together," she added with an air of finality. "Do you genuinely believe someone like Kyung-jun would feel that way?" She scoffed, reclining her head against the doorframe and crossing her arms over her chest.

Da-beom was momentarily taken aback by the certitude she projected, expressing herself with an almost indifferent calmness.

"I'll drag him to hell with me if I die tonight," Min-ji then muttered, the words more of an inner monologue than a direct address to Da-beom. Her gaze ascended to the round clock adorning the wall.

Da-beom followed her line of sight to the clock before returning his attention to her. "You shouldn't have hesitated in voting for him," he noted, his voice maintaining its customary low tone.

"And you shouldn't have voted for Woo-ram," Min-ji swiftly retorted, her hand reaching to strike the back of his head. He flinched and groaned in pain, his hand instinctively moving to shield the affected area.

"Seriously, does Kyung-jun own you or something? You must learn to stand up for yourself. It's crazy how much control he has over you," Min-ji added, retracting her hand.

"You were no different," Da-beom quickly defended himself, "Only you went on to date him and became just like him."

Though his words were undeniably accurate and not intended to inflict harm, they prompted an abrupt silence from Min-ji. Her body froze as she looked at Da-beom before turning her head away. Some inexplicable emotion, a blend of guilt and regret, stirred within her in response to his words.

"You should've dated him then, what can I say?" Min-ji finally spoke after realizing her prolonged silence.

Indeed, guilt permeated her emotions as she found herself compelled to confront something she had been avoiding for a year. Facing the aftermath of her toxic relationship with Kyung-jun, she thought everything was resolved after their breakup. She believed she could peacefully settle with her friends and act as if the regrettable actions of her old teenage self never occurred. Yet, in the end, she found herself sitting next to the fractured friendship she had caused due to that toxic relationship.

——

The minutes crawled by in agonizing slowness as they settled into a somewhat comfortable silence, each lost in their thoughts yet acutely aware of the other's presence.

When Min-ji stole a glance at the clock, half an hour had slipped away, leaving only another half until the voting concluded. She sighed, shifting uncomfortably on the cold ground, growing tired of the stillness.

"Let everyone know it was Kyung-jun's fault that I died, so they can vote for him next round," Min-ji's voice pierced the silence, her gaze fixed ahead, hands resting on each side.

"You're not going to die," Da-beom replied. His head also leaned against the door frame, slightly tilted to observe Min-ji. "There's still time left," he reassured her.

Min-ji's head turned to the side, along with her eyes, focusing on Da-beom. Though she tried to avoid dwelling on the worst-case scenarios, with time running out, she found it easier to accept her fate. The prospect hadn't truly saddened her until she looked into Da-beom's eyes, realizing that she might meet her end because of someone who had shattered their friendship. The secret regret she carried from the past would remain buried with her.

Da-beom sensed the depth of her feelings, even if she attempted to convey indifference through her words, her facial expression told a different story.

Amid the silence, as their eyes locked, Da-beom hesitantly reached a hand to Min-ji's face, gently brushing some hair away. The moment lingered, and they found themselves being drawn closer, faces inches apart, oblivious to everything except each other's gaze. Min-ji considered that now might be the juncture to manifest the sentiments she had nurtured over an extended period. Although the precise nature of these feelings eluded her comprehension, she conjectured that it could be characterized as attraction.