Livestream Lunacy

The sun up on the surface was harsh as it shone in the faces of the members of Counters. Rapunzel had left during the night, leaving Counters and their Commander safe in the research outpost. As the warlock opened his eyes and found himself in a meditative position, he stretched and heard his bones cracking as little gas pockets within the joint fluid of his bones were burst. He then stood up and took stock of his surroundings. There was nothing out of place save for the lack of a certain nun, though Y/n figured that since she was a pilgrim, she came and went as she pleased.

He waited patiently, casually flipping through the pages of one of his books as the Nikkes under his command slept. It was a further two hours before they woke up.

Anis was the first to open her eyes, finding Y/n sitting at the window nearby, gazing out at the arid landscape beyond the glass and scrawling something on the pages of the notebook in his hand.

She slowly stood up and walked over to take a peek, her eyes widened when she saw an extremely detailed landscape drawing of what Y/n was looking at. He hadn't even looked back at the page, he just kept scrawling with the pencil he had brought with him.

Y/n: "Sleep well?"

His sudden inquiry caught Anis off-guard as she had been fixated on watching him draw.

Anis: "Y- Yeah. Where's Rapunzel and that heretic?"

Y/n: "Rapunzel left while we were asleep. She took a single nutrient bar from what I've seen. As for Liberalio, she left after an... appropriate threat was administered. Not unlike how one administers a nova bomb to shut everyone at a conference up."

Anis nodded before Rapi sat up and looked over at them.

Rapi: "Anis, Commander, you're both awake already?"

Y/n: "We are, yes. Now we need to wait for Neon."

Thankfully it wasn't long before Neon woke up and after a few minutes of preparation, the four were en route back to the Ark. As they walked, Y/n felt his phone buzzing, meaning that the Alva particle density had lowered enough for communication to be possible. However as he looked at the phone's screen, he saw that the message wasn't from Andersen as he expected, but rather, Rupee from Talentum squad.

Rupee: [Hey, commander? mind if I ask for a favour?]

Y/n was surprised by the need to ask him for a favour considering that he and Rupee had only met once thus far, however he responded with a simplistic answer that would allow him to get some more information later.

Y/n: [I'm on a mission on the surface right now. It'll take me roughly three hours to get back to the Ark and another four hours to submit a detailed report to deputy chief Andersen. If you don't mind the sound of me typing, then stop by the commander's room and you can tell me about it then.]

Rupee's response was near-instantaneous.

Rupee: [Right, I'll see you soon then.]

Y/n pocketed his phone before he and the Counters continued on their way back to the Ark. As they walked, Y/n looked up at the crumbling skyscrapers around them, bastions of human civilisation that were now being reclaimed by nature. Somehow it reminded him of the days when he and his fireteam would camp amongst the ruins of old buildings. He remembered sitting round a campfire at the top of the crumbling cathedral towers of old Paris. Notre Dame if he remembered the archives correctly.

Anis: "You seem nostalgic."

Y/n: "Am I not allowed to be?"

Anis: "Nah, it's just that most commanders look at this kind of place and either feel sad for what the Raptures destroyed, or angry that we can't take it back. I've never seen someone look nostalgic."