The run in

Brandon

Singles mingles sounds promising. I show up a little late and a few drinks in. Most of the women are lacking. Either too easy, too old, or too desperate. A pretty brunette in a sexy red number dancing with a man twice her age catches my attention. Although I can only catch glimpses of her face. What I can see of her backside is enough for me to stop searching. I don't care if that's her husband; I want her. Slipping a server a hundred to cut in, I wait for her to break away. When she heads to the bar, I make my move.

It's not until I'm close enough to smell the familiar scent that I get suspicious. As I get closer, I recognize her. It was the dress that threw me off. I've never seen her wear something so revealing and clingy. everywhere.

When I say something rude and cruel, she seizes, dropping her drink. It all happens so fast that I have a moment of regret followed by guilt. I quickly brush it away when I remember why I've been angry from the get-go.

"No, this can't be happening." She cries

My eyes narrow at her horror.

"Oh, it can, and it is." I assure her with a devilish smile. She turns to leave, well aware of the scene we've created. Many people have stopped talking to listen and stare. I personally don't care, but Mary has already made her way to the deck. I exit the ballroom, hot on her heels, and grab her arm, spinning her around.

"Get your hands off of me!" She yells, tearing her arm from my grasp. It's raining, I see goose flesh spread across her arms. I stop myself from reflectively passing her my jacket. What do I care if she's cold?

"You think I'm going to stand back and let you make a mockery of my brother."

She looks confused. I can't blame her, I'm not even sure if what I said makes sense either.

"Why won't you leave me alone? Did you think I was going to never talk to anyone ever again? That I would buy lots of cats and plants holed up in my apartment?"

I bite my tongue, holding back what I really want to say and add fuel to the already out-of-control fire.

"I expected you to at least wait until the bed got cold." Shit even I find that harsh. She lets out a gush of air, I can't tell what she's thinking or if what I've said has hurt her.

"It's been two years Brandon it's not like I'm getting engaged. I'm just dancing."

Her tone is flat and lifeless. Why is she not angry! Thunder crackles louder, and the wind creates sheets of rain. My attention turns to the dark sky momentarily. The sun has set long ago, but between the flashes of lightening I can see the thick bands of clouds. We're in for a good one.

"I loved your brother, but I have to move on."

She's yelling now to be heard over the wind. Not a moment later, the captain's voice yells over the intercom; telling the passengers to please exit the hall and return to their bunks below. I move us further away from the window so we're not seen.

"Oh please, you had one foot out the door the whole time." I accuse, She throws her hands in the air only to place them back on her hips. When she shakes her head, the soft curls skate across her cleavage, teasing me. My anger hits the roof.

"Did you pick up strangers often? Is that why my brother cheated on you?"

She gasps and her eyes round in shock.

"I never cheated on your brother!"

Her words are cut off when the boat pivots and she loses her balance. I catch a glimpse of a massive wave cresting behind us. Shit, I turn back to Mary, it's not safe out here, but she's gone. I pivot back making a full circle, there's no way she made it past me and inside that fast and then I spot a piece of red silk hanging off the side. My body feels heavy as I run toward the edge, I see her bobbing in the water trying to latch onto the boat but the waves keep pushing her back, fuck!

I panic, searching for a side of the ship with a life raft. I find it, dropping it in the water, giving the line a quick tug. Securing the ladder I descend down jumping in. She's getting further, scarily so, but she's okay. Thankfully, the way the ship is angled is protecting her from most of the bigger waves.

I cut the rope, grabbing the bag attached to the boat and dig for a flashlight, Yelling her name. I spot her arm, using all my strength to row toward her. She's gone under. Feeling for the rope, I knot it on my belt loop and dive in. The flash of red fabric is all I need. Reaching out, I grab a handful and tug, swimming to the surface. The fabric begins to tear. I drop the flashlight, wrapping an arm around her waist. When I get her in the raft, she chokes up water before passing out, completely exhausted.

What is probably only minutes feels like hours as I search for the ship.I can't find It without the flashlight! It's dark and the waves have pushed us so far, I can't tell what direction I'm facing. All I can think is how crazy this situation is, Its unreal. The ship is enormous there's no way I can't find it. Beginning to shiver, I peek back in, checking on Mary. I keep praying for a flash of lightening that doesn't come. All I need is one, enough to get a glimpse. It feels like the sun is due to rise before I succumb to exhaustion. I fight the heavy weight on my lids, but it's no use...