MacGyver

Mary

My hopes plummet the moment I set eyes on the wreckage before me. How could this be happening? If I ever make it back; I'll be sure to never take my dad's advice again.

"I can fix it."

Brandon appears out of nowhere and begins to pull the wreckage from the water. I watch the muscles in his back flex and strain under his sun-kissed skin before quickly looking away.

My guilt overshadows any other emotion I feel. I have to have broken some kind of code, kissing my dead husband's brother. No wonder he left. He's probably sickened by me. What does it even say about me? That I'm more turned on by someone I've despised than I ever have been in my life. And the man that rocks my world is my late husband's brother. Maybe I still need therapy. I can't stand being so close to him, yet so far away. It's the perfect time to do my business. I walk off the beaten path to find a private spot to tinkle. On my way back, I see Brandon cutting slabs off a tree. Before I realize it, I'm standing in front of him. Well, no use avoiding him now. He knows I'm here, I'll have to say something. stupid feet.

"Whatchya doing?"

Seconds pass, and I begin to think he didn't hear me.

"Collecting sap."

"Oh?"

He sounds annoyed.

"Can I help?"

"Nope!"

I flinch at his tone. Forget annoyed. He's definitely mad at me. I leave without another word. All day long, he works; taking minimal breaks for water and food. Steven comes over to the shore, where I'm sitting, and plops down next to me. After they each freaked out in their own way. Albert walking around for hours, mumbling to himself with his hands on his head and Steven crying. They began to look toward Brandon for answers. They both offered to help him. He wouldn't allow Steven, but he sent Albert into the jungle to gather broken bamboo.

He really is handy. I watch him wipe sweat off his forehead, throwing back water. My eyes follow a few renegade drops that slip past his chest and travel the ridges of his abs. I bite my lip in response as wetness pools between my thighs.

"Are you guys together?"

Stevens' voice distracts me. He has been here the whole time, and I haven't looked at him once. How rude.

"Sorry what?"

"Are you two a couple?"

Oh, no! He's interested in me, Steven smiles, looking hopeful. This is the last thing I need. How to discourage him without hurting his feelings?

"No, I recently lost my husband... I'm in no condition for a relationship."

He looks disappointed, although I feel bad, it's better I crush his interest before he gets the wrong idea.

"That's too bad. You're a handsome woman."

I think that was supposed to be a compliment. I manage to nod and smile.

"Thank you."

When I turn back to Brandon, he's gone. I don't even register that Steven has left. I'm too busy looking for Brandon.

"Looking for someone?"

I jump, letting out a high-pitched squeak. That's why I couldn't find him, I wasn't looking behind me.

"No, not particularly. just... thinking."

Brandon grunts, walking past me to gather the rest of the wood. I get up and begin piling it in my hands, attempting to help.