Home

Brandon

It all happens so fast. The boat, the airport, the plane ride. We're separated the entire time, and I don't get a chance to speak privately with her. When we finally land, I see her at baggage claims. Just a few feet away, I pause at a loss for words. I don't want to wreck the progress we made pushing for more, but I want more... so much more.

'It's not like that' what she said to Steven beats against my brain like a jackhammer. I turn around and hail a cab home...

Mary

It's been three days, and he hasn't even called. I wipe away tears, refusing to cry again. What is it with me and men? Or maybe it's just the Price me. I thought he-, well okay, maybe he didn't love me, but it sure sounded like he cared about me... a lot! I pick up the phone just to put it down again. I'm driving myself crazy. There's not a box left to unpack, and my house is spotless. I grab my keys and leave before I categorize my socks into lengths and colors.

"He's not back yet, but I'm glad you came by."

Mom wraps me in a tight embrace. I'm startled. She hasn't hugged me in two years.

"No more trips at sea, okay? If you want to travel, go somewhere normal!"

I laugh and hug her back tightly.

"I promise mom."

She pulls away and drags me inside.

"Sit down, I'll make you a tea. Your dad flew back as soon as he heard. He should be home any minute."

I drop my head in my hands and sigh.

"He didn't have to, I'm safe now."

She sits beside me, shaking her head.

"Nonsense, we nearly lost you. You know your dad better than that. He can reschedule next year and sell his trinkets online."

The kettle whistles, and mom gets up to make the teas.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in."

Olivia walks in, giving me a hug before the boys come bounding onto my lap.

"Auntie! Auntie!"

I hug and kiss them repeatedly. Aside from dad, I missed them the most.

"Did you bring us anything back from your trip?"

I laugh, shaking my head.

"Sure she did, Mary has stories that will make you gasp in shock and awe."

My dad's voice is a soothing balm. When he wraps his arms around me, my eyes fill with tears.

"Oh, dad. I missed you."

He pats my back, squeezing me tighter.

"I know, baby, me too."

We talk about the ordeal over dinner, and it feels like a relief to get it off my chest and out of the way. I skim over the part about Brandon. Dad talks about his trip and the inventor's convention and how the owner of a cell phone company wants to buy his car clip. Olivia met someone new, and he's apparently the one. She's been seeing him every day for two weeks.

It's getting late. Mom is doing the dishes, and Olivia is bathing the twins. I'm on the porch swing looking off into the stars, thinking of Brandon. Dad comes out and passes me a beer while sipping on his after dinner scotch. I take it and thank him.

"What's really bothering you?"

I turn toward him, unsure of what to say... minutes pass in complete silence while dad sits next to me on the swing.

"I met him, you know."

"Who?" I say utterly, confused. He gives me a look as if to say you know exactly who I'm talking about.

"It was shortly after I denied my blessing for Jeremy to marry you."

My eyes widen, I never knew. I didn't even know Jeremy asked.

"You did! Why?"

He grins, shaking his head.

"We'll get to that... Brandon came to warn me not to give my blessing. Said his brother only wanted you because you didn't immediately fall for him. He thought once the chase was over and you agreed. Jeremy would get bored, and you would end up hurt. I told him I didn't give my blessing. Brandon was distraught. He warned me Jeremy was still planning on asking you."

I listen intently, without interrupting. My dad nor Brandon had ever mentioned meeting before the wedding. I had no idea they even saw each other beforehand and then with what happened at the funeral. I always thought they hated each other.

"I told him we don't tell our children what to do. We're just there for them when they need us. He didn't agree with that. Brandon called me a coward."

I gasp.

"He didn't!"

I chuckle at that, surprised. My dad's a big man with a rowdy and well-known reputation in this town.

"He sure did. Then he kicked my porch, breaking the rail, and tried to pick a fight. He left squealing his tires down my drive in that black pick up of his, nearly blew the engine. I knew Jeremys love for you didn't come from a pure place. He was smitten, and so were you. But Brandon. "

Gooseflesh spreads down my arms at my dad's words. I hang onto every syllable.

"Brandon was crazy about you. Couldn't stand the thought of you hurt. The way he looked at you when he thought no one was paying attention. Like he'd give anything to be in his brother's shoes. You don't see that look in many men."

Tears fall freely, and I swallow back a cry.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Dad pulls me in his arms, hugging me.

"You didn't feel the same way back then. These things usually work themselves out. Besides, who am I to mess with fate?... My point is when you talked about Brandon today, as brief as it was."

Dad gives me a pointed look. He knows there's much more I'm not saying.

"You had the same look he did five years ago in my driveway... Sometimes fate needs a little nudge."

I can't wait any longer. It's been long enough. I jump up and walk off the porch before realizing I don't have my keys.

"Looking for these?"

Dad jiggles them, holding them out to me.

"Thanks dad, I have to go, I need to see him."

Dad laughs .

"Of course, go... I'll call you tomorrow."

I wave, jumping in the car.