Honeymoons over

Mary

As we get closer, I can see the small glowing fires all along the shore, and I cry with relief. Brandon drops the sails and begins to row. We hit land and I hop out, only to be halted by Brandon's hand on my wrist.

"Easy, were appearing in the middle of the night on a strange land. Let's approach with caution."

My smile drops and a chill of trepidation seeps in. I nod, he's right even though I don't want to admit it.

People! I see people, dozens of them. Brandon tucks me behind him.

"Be ready to get back in the boat if I tell you."

No! I don't want to get back in the boat. Anything but the boat. Brandon stiffens, and I hear children speaking in a weird language. I peek past Brandon to see their excited faces. There's a commotion a little further back, and a tall man with red and black face paint runs toward the children. The little boys run back toward a nearby fire, and the man approaches us.

"Who are you?"

Oh, thank God, he speaks English.

"My name is Brandon Price, we were on a cruise and fell off board... We just need to find a way back to an airport or city."

I feel Brandon's hand grip me tighter. He's definitely nervous.

"A cruise you say, you're far off course that's for sure... we can't spare any boats, but we can get the coast guard out tomorrow."

I feel the moment Brandon deems us safe, his shoulders drop, and his body relaxes. I peek from behind him at the man as he continues.

"They won't come at night unless someone's dying. I don't suppose either of you are injured, are you?"

Brandon shakes his head

"No, just tired."

The man waves us toward his camp.

"Come with me, we will get you settled and fed... I'm Redfoot. My wife Awena will show you around."

The island is thriving with life. Children run around playing and laughing. The're are huts everywhere and workshops. Even an outdoor grill. I'm so relieved my cheeks hurt from smiling. We're safe, like truly safe. I want to pull Brandon in and thank him with a thousand kisses, but he's so distant. His face hasn't budged from the miserable expression it had been stuck in since we hit land.

Awena is a beautiful, tall, and lithe woman. With long silky hair that is so black, it looks blue. She pulls me along, away from Brandon, who looks like he's about to argue, but I shake my head, discouraging him. I don't want to appear rude. He reluctantly allows it, keeping his attention on me until I'm out of sight.

Awena takes me to a private section where the outdoor showers reside. I squeal with excitement at the sight. She also assigns me a hut and passes me a cute skirt covered in beaded flowers, it's soft and flowing. The top is shaped in a triangle in the front with matching beading flowers. It's backless with a tie in the center.

"This is beautiful, thank you!"

She smiles.

"I'm glad you approve. I'll let you freshen up. When you're relaxed and have had a solid meal, I hope you will join us around the fire... it's a special night, Vyasa will be telling a story."

I smile back at Awena.

"I'll be there!"

The shower is heaven but not near as divine as the Shish kabobs, pilaf rice, and lava cakes. I'm so full my eyes are heavy and I can barely move. An older woman sits by the fire and everyone becomes silent, giving her their attention. Brandon has been staring at me but has kept his distance. I chalk it up to the events we've been through, trying not to take it personally.

"Tonight I will tell you an ancient story in honor of our guests."

I look back at the woman, whose expression has turned serious as she stares back at us.

"It's the legend of the shakrus. A creature so terrifying even the most brave give it wide berth."

A shiver runs up my spine as my meal threatens to come up. I look to Brandon, who's attention is focused on the old woman.

"Many centuries ago, an island was discovered by a great man. His strength in mind and body was legendary. He was known as the wonderer. He would sail the sea from one end of the earth to the other. This great man stumbled upon a land rich in wealth with soil so pure many believed seeds needed no water to grow. The wonderer believed this land was his to claim and planned to stay for a time. The wonderer had many visitors in his first week. He chased them away, greedy of his land. Word spread of a land with magic soil and great beauty. Another conquer heard the rumours and sailed across the sea to battle for the land. When he got there, the land was empty, and he laid claim. This happened many times over before many great men disappeared. A number of people were curious, and a group called scientists sailed out to investigate."

I look at Brandon who looks back to me. We both wear the same expression. I'm sure he's just as curious as me. Entranced by the story.

"The island had never allowed more than one inhabitant stay through the night at a time... The next full moon the ship returned empty but all of one passenger. The man was labeled insane for the stories he told of creatures with arms twice the length of their bodies and claws as sharp as teeth. Eyes that glow like the sun and bodies that move without bones."

I shiver at the description as terror surges through my body. Is that what they were? Oh, God! The image her words create in my head is worse than anything I could have ever imagined.

"We call this island 'The isle of bones.' Many legends reside there and tales of their greed and suffering are still talked about today."

The woman slowly rises, returning to her hut. I sit by the fire a little longer, disturbed by the horrifying story.

"Do you think it's true?"

Brandon's voice startles me out of my thoughts.

"I don't know, do you?" I ask him truly curious. He looks away from me,

"Nah, just an old wives' tale."

For some reason, I don't think he actually believes himself.

"We should get some sleep. Did they give you a hut?"

"Yes.did they give you one?"

He nods, leaving, and I hesitate, wanting to call him back. It was an awkward exchange. I don't want to be separated, but it doesn't look like he feels the same way. I pick apart everything he said and begin to wonder. Was I just the only available tail? No, I don't believe that. There's no way he could fake memories so detailed. Ugh, I'm not thinking clearly. I just need some sleep. It will all be better in the morning. Besides, just because we shared our feelings doesn't make us attached at the hip. I enter my hut, crawling under the soft covers, and close my eyes.