04: 𝐀 𝐃𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝.

"Did you understand that calculation?" Reo asked as his sister nodded. "Then try this exercise."

"Okay."

Their mother stood at the doorway of their study room, watching her children. She pondered when they had started studying together because it was unusual. However, it relieved her, knowing that at least she could hope for her youngest child's academic success despite her obsession with swimming.

Rea Mikage had been compelled to have a tutor at school after her homeroom teacher noticed her weakness in nearly every subject. When Aoki-sensei, aware that her own child was similar to Rea and only focused on swimming, contemplated contacting Rea's elder brother. Reo assured her that he would oversee his sister's studies. Relieved, Aoki-sensei agreed. It was then they discovered that her child was none other than Kai Aoki.

According to the Mikage siblings' schedule, Reo had practice sessions every Tuesday and Thursday, while Rea spent every evening immersed in swimming. Reo facepalmed when he realized how attached his sister was to the water, akin to a fish. He had to intervene; thus, she was allowed to attend swimming club practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays, giving them three other days for tutoring sessions, although Rea initially hesitated.

Reo began the tutoring sessions once they arrived home from school. The deal was that if she successfully completed everything he taught, her reward would be his assistance in preparing for the upcoming national swimming competition. It was the second week of their tutoring sessions.

During this time, Reo noticed something—his sister wasn't academically weak; she simply didn't apply herself. Rea was just as intelligent as Reo. When he explained calculations and concepts to her, she absorbed them remarkably fast from the very beginning, surprising the elder sibling. Why had she remained like this all this time if she was as bright as him? That was the lingering question as he observed her solving the math exercise flawlessly.

"Rea?"

"Mhm," Rea murmured without stopping her work.

"Why don't you put in effort to study if you're this good?" Reo couldn't suppress his curiosity any longer.

"I don't plan to use these things in my future," Rea replied, finishing her writing and passing the book to Reo. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious, because you're effortlessly smart," he admitted. "If you're not planning to use any of this in your future, what do you want to become?"

"Would you be upset with me if I tell you?" The youngest looked away, hesitant to answer.

"Why would I be upset, Rea?" Reo sighed. "All I want is to support whatever you choose. We both know our parents never allowed us to pursue what we truly wanted. That's why I think, if we stick together, we can strive for what we really like."

"An Olympic swimmer." Rea looked at her brother, whose eyes widened in surprise. "I want to become an Olympic swimming champion. Initially, I thought it would be great to compete in the Olympics, but when I saw you, Bachira-senpai, Kaori, and even Nagi there to support me, I felt like I shouldn't stop there. I have to strive to become an Olympic Champion. When Kai mentioned wanting to surpass me someday, it only fueled my dream. I want to showcase what I'm capable of to everyone."

Reo was speechless. How could he have never noticed such determination in his sister all this time? He had always wanted to be the best in the world alongside Nagi, but little did he know that someone by their side had the same dream.

"Amazing!" That was the only word that escaped the eldest when he heard her. "Let's become the best in the world together. You'll become the best swimmer, and Nagi and I will become the best strikers."