10: 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞

As promised, Mikage arrived at the hospital to pick up his children. Rea could walk slowly with her father's support, while Naoto assisted Reo in settling into the backseat. For Rea, going home brought a wave of excitement; the hospital felt like an imprisonment. In contrast, Reo felt a sense of apprehension, anticipating the conversation that awaited him at home. He knew his parents had a lot to say, and he was prepared to face whatever consequences he deserved.

The car ride was filled with silence. Rea gazed out the window, captivated by the bustling cityscape. What had seemed like tiny ants from the hospital building now loomed as massive skyscrapers. Mikage occasionally engaged Naoto in conversation, discussing the itinerary for the next day's travel.

When Naoto pulled up in front of the Mikage household, a sense of relief washed over the siblings. Naoto helped Reo settle into his wheelchair, while Mikage walked protectively beside Rea, mindful of her wound. Despite Rea's assurances to her father, Mikage remained watchful, concerned about her well-being. He didn't want his daughter to experience any unnecessary pain.

As the servant opened the door and stepped aside, the Mikage siblings were taken aback by the sight that awaited them. Their friends—Nagi, Bachira, Kai, Kaori, and even Chigiri and Kaiser—were gathered there.

"Welcome home!" Mrs. Mikage greeted her children with a warm smile. She embraced Rea and affectionately patted Reo's head. "I'm glad both of you are doing well now."

She kissed their foreheads and guided them inside. Rea immediately approached Kaori with a quizzical expression.

"Care to explain what's going on?" Rea raised an eyebrow, looking at Kaori, who nervously smiled, and Kai, avoiding eye contact and finding sudden fascination in the roof above. 

"I'm not a fan of surprises. Your mother arranged this, and I helped her. Kai was there too."

"I was worried, by the way, Kai—" Rea tried to address him, but Kai seemed suddenly absorbed in examining the ceiling. "What happened at the—you know, the swimming meet?"

"I came in second and secured a spot in the semifinals," Kai replied, rubbing the back of his neck nervously as Rea frowned.

"I thought you were going to be the champion."

"Well, there was this other guy; he's incredibly talented," Kai explained. "We'll need to work harder for the semifinals."

"We?" Rea chuckled. "I believe you mean 'you.'"

"Actually, about that, honey..." Mrs. Mikage interjected. "Your father and I have something to tell you."

"Huh?"

All eyes turned to Rea, curiosity evident in their expressions. While others seemed to have an inkling, both Mikage siblings shared puzzled looks. Kaori smiled, giving her friend an encouraging side hug. "You're in for a stroke of luck, my dear friend."

"What are you all talking about?" Rea was still unable to grasp the situation, and Reo stood by her side, prepared to defend his sister from their parents' intentions.

"Mum, dad, I hope you're not interfering with her dreams again," Reo remarked, not wanting to witness his sister's disappointment due to their parents' concealed intentions. "What have you done this time?"

"Read it aloud, princess." Their father retrieved an envelope from his coat and handed it to Rea. She hesitated, glancing uncertainly between the envelope and her parents. "Read it aloud, so your friends can hear too."

"Um, alright." Rea's fingers trembled as she observed the emblem of the Japanese Swimming Federation on the envelope. Perhaps it was just a message to compete next year due to her absence this time. But why did her father want her to read it aloud? She took a deep breath and opened the thick, yellow paper adorned with elegant letters. Taking a moment to steady herself, she began.