09: 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐫

Mr. Mikage cautiously pushed open the door to his daughter's hospital room. His gaze quickly fell upon the unoccupied bed, knitting his brows in confusion. Scanning the room, he spotted Rea by the window, her silhouette outlined against the soft glow of the morning light filtering through the curtains.

It had been three days since Rea had awoken, permitted only limited movement due to the lingering effects of sedation. Eager to regain some sense of freedom, she now stood by the window, leaning lightly on the IV drip stand, seeking solace in the outside world she couldn't yet explore.

"Princess, how are you feeling?" Mikage's voice, laced with concern, broke the silence as he entered, placing a fruit basket on the nightstand. Rea turned to regard her father, a bittersweet warmth flooding her heart at his endearing address. The care he showed touched her deeply, a sentiment she hadn't expected after years of distance.

Mikage was taken aback by the sight that greeted him: dark circles under her eyes and traces of tears staining her cheeks. Her appearance spoke volumes of her emotional turmoil. "I'm good, dad," she replied, though her voice trembled with unspoken sadness.

A faint smile curved Rea's lips, though her eyes betrayed the inner turmoil. She sniffled, her nose slightly runny from her prolonged bout of tears. The missed swimming competition weighed heavily on her, the shattered dream haunting her thoughts.

Mikage stepped closer, gently patting her head, and joined her by the window. He understood her sadness, knowing full well why his daughter was so disheartened. He longed to uplift her spirits, yet he knew there was only one thing that could truly console her.

"That's good," he began, trying to infuse a note of optimism into their conversation. "We can take you home tomorrow."

Rea glanced at her father, her eyes searching for something she longed to hear but hadn't expected. "I never imagined you and mum would come to see me when I was injured."

Her words hung in the air, a silent reproach laced with a desire for parental warmth that had felt absent for too long.

"You're our only little princess, Rea," Mikage assured her, enfolding her in a warm embrace. "Why wouldn't we visit? You are the light of your mother's and my world. When you came into our lives, I felt like the luckiest man alive."

Leaning into her father's comforting embrace, Rea couldn't help but feel a pang of regret for her earlier thoughts. Perhaps her parents had cared more than she realized, their strictness merely a misguided way of expressing concern.

"I understand, Dad," Rea replied softly, feeling a surge of gratitude amidst her pain. "I appreciate it."

She refrained from bringing up her swimming aspirations, not wanting to spoil this rare moment of connection. Her mother's sternness regarding swimming echoed in her thoughts, and she opted to cherish the tender moment with her father instead.

Amidst her reflections, Rea pondered why her friends Kaori and Kai hadn't returned. The day before the competition, she had wished Kai to do well, but since then, silence prevailed. With limited energy to spare, her hospital stay had grown increasingly monotonous, devoid of the usual interactions that brightened her days.

The father and daughter stood in silence, each lost in their thoughts as they gazed out of the window. Rea didn't know what to say; they hadn't conversed much over the years. Similarly, Mikage was unsure of what to share with his daughter. The hush was broken by the creaking sound of the door swinging open, drawing both their attentions.

There, in a wheelchair pushed by Nagi, was her brother Reo. Rea's smile widened at the sight of him, her heart lifting despite the somber atmosphere that lingered.