22: 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡

The BlueLock Cross provided ample facilities for both soccer players and swimmers, including a designated schedule for pool use to avoid disruptions between the two groups.

Rea Mikage found it amusing to interact with her soccer teammates despite responding with only cold expressions, occasionally ignoring those who annoyed her. Consequently, her teammates dubbed her "Rich Brat," a nickname she paid little attention to.

One day, while the Z team members were gathered in their room after workouts, Ego Jinpachi and Himiko appeared on the screen to explain the first selection process for both soccer and swimming.

"For swimmers, let me explain how this goes for you," Himiko took over from where Ego left off. "Similar to soccer, the first selection will involve the 25 of you in Building 5, a five-team round-robin. Only the top two teams will progress, and the rest will leave BlueLock Cross."

Bachira commented, "Same as us," as Kai nodded in agreement.

"Those who are eliminated will be forever ineligible to compete in Asian-level competitions. However, the top swimmers from the three losing teams will advance to the next selection. In case of identical timings for two or more swimmers, an additional round will determine the winner. Since there are five members in one team, four swimmers will participate in the 4x100m Medley Relay, choosing the best stroke for each. The fifth member will swim the 4x100m Freestyle Relay. Points will be awarded based on wins, draws, and losses—3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and no points for a loss. The swimmers' races will start one hour after the soccer teams' matches, and you are allowed to watch your team's soccer match if you prefer."

"Cool!" Kai exclaimed. "We can watch your dribbling, Bachira."

Sakura asked Rea what they were discussing, and Rea, proficient in sign language, explained and wrote some notes for Sakura on her notepad since phone usage was prohibited inside.

"What are they talking about?" Gagamaru pointed to the girls signing. "How can we know what they're talking about?"

"It's none of our business, though," Kuon remarked. "I'm still surprised there are two girls on our team. Aren't they cute?"

Rea turned to Kuon, giving him a death glare, always reacting strongly when comments were made about Sakura and herself. Kuon whispered to Gagamaru, "I hope other teams have some nice girls. Here we have an angel who's protected by a demon."

"I'm not a demon, jackass," Rea retorted. "Your hushing is too loud; you should work on that."

"Here we go again," Isagi face palmed, knowing that this would lead to another confrontation initiated by Rea Mikage. She always tried to pick a fight with any soccer teammate she talked to, except Bachira and Chigiri. "Let's discuss our play; I want to be forward."

"Alright, it's our cue to discuss the relay," Kobayashi said, walking over to Rea and Sakura. Kai and Ritsuka joined them. "So, what are we going to do?"

"I'll swim for the 400m Freestyle Relay," Rea stated. "I'm not interested in medley relays."

"I want to swim for that too," Kobayashi disagreed, and they exchanged deadly glares. "You can't even last long in a 400m competition; remember last time?"

"But I think Rea would be better for the 400m, given she has the best timing among us," Kai interjected. "No offense, Kobayashi, but she has already caught up with her own timing, so she's faster than you."

"What? Are you serious?" Kobayashi frowned. "It's impossible."

"Can I add something to what Kai said?" Ritsuka raised his hand for permission as others nodded. "I'm not so friendly with Mikage-san, but I have competed with her in many regionals, and she's faster than you, Kobayashi-kun."