25: 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝

Once the first selection concluded, swimmers and soccer players had to be separated due to different criteria awaiting them. While soccer players underwent intense training and prepared for the second selection, swimmers embarked on a different journey. Their second selection varied, and Rea Mikage discovered that there were more than thirteen swimmers participating in their stage. Furthermore, building 5 was the sole structure in BlueLock Cross dedicated to swimming.

In contrast to soccer players, swimmers didn't complain much, as their primary focus was training to become the best and compete in the upcoming National Finals. However, there were a few who had already won National Semi Finals in the Freestyle swimming race, a category in which Rea Mikage competed.

They underwent training to improve their timing, each choosing their best swimming stroke. Following three to four weeks of intense individual training, many swimmers were disqualified from the facility. Only fifteen top swimmers were selected out of the forty-five who participated in the second selection.

In the second selection, they were given an average timing for their swimming, and those who completed it within the given period advanced to the next stage. This stage was intense as only free-style swimmers remained, competing against each other in multiple freestyle races until only the top five swimmers remained: Rea Mikage, Saruto Kobayashi, Kai Aoki, Aqua Shindo, and Akane Hasegawa.

During this period, their ranks changed, and they now wore new ranks on their suits. In the final stage, the top five swimmers were provided an opportunity to choose international swimmers for their personal training for twenty-four hours. Rea chose the top American swimmer, Julie Tucker, for her training, sponsored by her father, as revealed by Himiko. She couldn't believe her luck and felt she still received an advantage as the daughter of Mikage.

Then the time came for the swimmers to move to the next stage. As the second selection for the soccer players concluded, all the swimmers and soccer players who advanced to the third stage were called to the central joint room.

Arriving first in the central joint room, the swimmers saw Himiko appear on the screen. "From now on, you will be training separately from your soccer mates, but you five still have to share your dorm with one of the teams. Therefore, Ego-san and I decided to allocate you as per your ranks. Your rank number will decide your team, the order of how they completed."

"Good job, all five of you did there," Himiko smiled before disappearing from the screen.

"Rea, what if we could stay together like before?" Akane pouted, clinging onto Rea's arm. "I don't want to stay with those gorillas."

"Are we the only ones who didn't get gorilla soccer buddies?" Kobayashi laughed. "Hasegawa-san, would you like to go on a date once this is over?"

"My answer is still the same," Akane frowned. "I don't like your teeth."

Kai, Aqua, and Rea burst into laughter. Saruto Kobayashi had been trying to impress Akane Hasegawa since they were selected in the last stage. It was no wonder, because Akane Hasegawa was gorgeous, with waist-long gold-blond hair, a few strands covering her forehead, and ends tinted pink.

"Could the first team to pass the selection please enter?" The announcement drew the swimmers' attention, and a door slid up. Rea recognized Bachira and Isagi, causing her smile to widen. "Swimmer, rank one, Mikage Rea will be staying with the 1st clear team."

"Whoa, Rea-chan," Bachira put his arm over the girl's shoulder. "See, Isagi. She's become the top swimmer here."

"That's amazing." Isagi said. "So you'll be with us."

"Yes, they said five of us will share the dorms with each five teams as per the ranks." Rea explained. "How about Reo and Nagi?"

"I think she's asking that white-haired monster?" A boy with black long hair approached Bachira and Rea. Her mouth agape seeing his silky and smooth long hair.